read all-zero block at 0x00000000; skipping

MdicnMan

Reaction score
So I am stumped.
I am trying to go back to SPRecovery from Clockwork.

I am getting the following:

# /data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img
/data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img
mtd: read all-zero block at 0x00000000; skipping

I get the same result with the 0.99.3.img which is the same file I had used before Clockwork.

Any thoughts.?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try this

copy sprecovery to his sd card.

adb shell
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/sprecovery.img
# sync
# exit
adb reboot recovery

OP
MdicnMan

MdicnMan

Reaction score
try this

adb shell
# sync
# exit
adb reboot recovery

Well, at least it's something new. Tried with both ADB and in terminal, same results. What the heck?

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3b.img
flash_image: not found

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you in a boot loop. Because if you can load your phone up; just install droidmod updater and It will get rid of clockwork.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try this

adb shell
# sync
# exit
adb reboot recovery

Well, at least it's something new. Tried with both ADB and in terminal, same results. What the heck?

File name is wrong. Check for extra file extension being added by Windows. File is in a folder.

OP
MdicnMan

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Are you in a boot loop. Because if you can load your phone up; just install droidmod updater and It will get rid of clockwork.

Seems like a long way around to get there, but if I can't figure it out I'll do that. Thanks.

denpth

Reaction score
flash_image: not found is an indication that the command flash_image is not a valid command.
I just checked on my phone (CLOCKWORK) and noticed the flash_image command is not there on the phone it must use something else
install flash_image (flash_image at sdcard root)
adb shell
dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/data/local/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
rm /sdcard/flash_image
and then try flashing your recovery

OP
MdicnMan

MdicnMan

Reaction score
flash_image: not found is an indication that the command flash_image is not a valid command.
I just checked on my phone (CLOCKWORK) and noticed the flash_image command is not there on the phone it must use something else
install flash_image (flash_image at sdcard root)
adb shell
rm /sdcard/flash_image
and then try flashing your recovery

Why didn't I think of that? Perfect. Thanks.

OP
MdicnMan

MdicnMan

Reaction score
no problem let me know how it went

Same error. Oh well, I guess I can use DMUpdate, but I'd really prefer to figure it out.

su
# dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/data/local/flash_image
51+1 records in
51+1 records out
26172 bytes transferred in 0.423 secs (61872 bytes/sec)
# chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image
# rm /sdcard/flash_image
rm /sdcard/flash_image
# exit
exit
$ su
su
#

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
ug... threw clockwork on there to play around with rom manager, and now getting this same problem moving back to sprecovery. You guys get any resolution to this?

edit: Can't use the DMupdater method since DMUpdater mistakenly concludes that my SDCARD is mounted by the PC.

Last edited:

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
ug... threw clockwork on there to play around with rom manager, and now getting this same problem moving back to sprecovery. You guys get any resolution to this?

edit: Can't use the DMupdater method since DMUpdater mistakenly concludes that my SDCARD is mounted by the PC.

I ended up fixing it by resetting the phone via SBF flash, then using DM Updater to root and instal SPRecovery-0.99.3b

Instructions:

since he deleted the original unroot/unbrick post here, i got it from alldroid for you guys. i take no credit, this is all ikithme and those that he credits (also listed here).

I take no credit for the release of the .sbf file nor any of Motorola's software or drivers

IF THIS IS DONE WRONG IT CAN AND WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE BEYOND REPAIR OF EVEN VERIZON SINCE THIS IS THE TOOL THEY USE! DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE DURING THE PROCESS! I WILL NOT OFFER SUPPORT AND NOR SHOULD ANYONE ELSE! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING PLEASE LEAVE RIGHT NOW.

THIS COMPLETELY WIPES YOUR PHONE AND REFLASHES IT! YOU WILL NEED TO REACTIVATE YOUR PHONE WHEN THIS FINISHES!

Reactivate means dialing *228 in the phone app and choosing option 1, for those that don't know.

Requirements
A.
2.0.0 VZW_A855_ESD20_QSC6085BP_C_01.3B.01P_SW_UPDATE.sbf (.sbf file)
or
2.0.1 VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf (.sbf file)
B. RSDLite4.6.7z (RSDLite 4.6)
C.
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Co ... _4.2.0.zip (32-bit Motorola USB Drivers)
or
http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/Co ... _4.2.0.zip (64-bit Motorola USB Drivers)

Instructions:
1. Download all of the files above including the 32-bit OR 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers.
2. Install RSDLite 4.6 AND the 32-bit or 64-bit Motorola USB Drivers (Depends on your system most will need 32-bit some will need 64-bit)
3. Connect your phone to USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
4. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
5. Click the ... next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
6. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress and all of that.
7. Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.0.1 no root.
8. Done

Credits:
dordodim for the sbf file.
Motorola for the awesome phone, usb drivers and RSDLite (Thanks Ron for pointing out where I could find the USB Drivers and RSDLite)

End notes:
Have fun.

Edit:
If I missed someone in the credits please tell me and I will make sure to add them. Thanks!

Edit 2:

If you do not see Run as Administrator in the right click menu for RSDLite, then you need to hold Shift while right clicking.

If you are on a Mac, you will need to get VMWare and install Windows. DO NOT USE BOOT CAMP, NOBODY HAS TESTED BOOT CAMP BUT VMWARE IS CONFIRMED TO WORK.

When the flash is complete, you will need to re-enable USB Debugging for adb to work, and if you are on a computer that has not used adb before, you will need to install the Motorola USB Debug ADB Driver. You can check that this driver is installed in device manager with the phone plugged in, look for ADB or motorola adb driver.

If RSDLite does not see your phone, you need to run it as Administrator. IF it still does not see your phone, see below (thanks wazhere)