Razr Maxx OS vs G Nexus OS? Maxx Felt Snappier?

daudi81

Reaction score
Just got back from the verizon store today - just to test the speeds on different phones vs my Nexus. I'm always paranoid I'm not getting the best reception.

Surprisingly, I got the best speeds I've ever gotten on my Nexus when I was in the store - they were on average, 5-6mbps above the Razr, Rezound, Maxx etc. I never get those high of speeds so I don't know how accurate the results were. The guy at the store did tell me that more people come in and complain about the Razr's than the Nexus though. Seems a little different story on these forums though.

However! I will say that when I was playing with the Maxx - the OS seemed so much snappier to me. Going from different apps, multi-tasking, etc - was a lot faster on the Maxx. I would test both phones at the same time, opening the same apps, etc. Maxx was definitely and highly noticeably quicker and snappier.

Is this normal?

(BTW - this isn't a complaint thread. I love the nexus for many reasons, just trying to make the best decision on a phone right now since my return period will be up in a couple weeks).

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I personally think the GB should feel snappier compared to the Nexus. Compared it to my friend's rezound the other night and both were pretty smooth. Considering ICS is still brand new and hasn't even received its first major update yet, I like to think it can get better. The Rezound or any other current device is certainly no slouch compared to it though.

Htown315

Reaction score
If I put windows 95 on my computer it would be snappy. ICS is awesome but still has to be tweaked. Its going to be interesting to see the Razr on ICS compared to the Gnex which was designed for it.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I did the same test and it was pretty close. Do you have all of those animations running? To me that makes the phone seem slower. Same with live wallpapers.

OP
D

daudi81

Reaction score
I did the same test and it was pretty close. Do you have all of those animations running? To me that makes the phone seem slower. Same with live wallpapers.

Nah, I took off the live wallpaper right when I got it. They bug me for some reason.

Syraz

Reaction score
Both are snappy. I won't deny it I do like the new blur. But difference not noticeable til nexus gets rooted and is a lot faster

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally think the GB should feel snappier compared to the Nexus. Compared it to my friend's rezound the other night and both were pretty smooth. Considering ICS is still brand new and hasn't even received its first major update yet, I like to think it can get better. The Rezound or any other current device is certainly no slouch compared to it though.
Its got to get better,cause rite now,not as snappy as when i first got it.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that the Nexus has almost twice the resolution of the RAZR (something like 1.75 times if I remember right). Since they have similar hardware otherwise, it would make sense as to why the Razr would be a little faster.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Another thing to consider is that the Nexus has almost twice the resolution of the RAZR (something like 1.75 times if I remember right). Since they have similar hardware otherwise, it would make sense as to why the Razr would be a little faster.

Question is who needs all the additional resolution, especially at the expense of performance?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Question is who needs all the additional resolution, especially at the expense of performance?

Who needs the Kevlar backing? :p It's just cool to have. Videos look absolutely stunning on my Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score

Generally speaking a higher resolution, if your device can handle it, is better. Things become crisper, like text is readable zoomed out on higher resolutions, that may not be readable on a lower resolution device. Videos, games, and well everything benefits in the looks department as long as the device can handle it. The Nexus clearly doesn't have a major problem with performance, that I have noticed at least. There will come a point where resolution won't matter anymore as our eyes won't be able to discern a difference, especially on handheld screens. I personally didn't think that a 720p screen would make as big of a difference it did, but I notice it.

I prefer a higher resolution to an extent that it doesn't absolutely destroy performance. Which in this case it doesn't destroy the performance. I haven't compared the RAZR and Nexus side by side, but it shouldn't be a huge difference here. I am imagining we are talking about fractions of seconds here. Most reviews that do compare them don't say much bad about either one in the snappiness department. And not that I am a fan of benchmarks, but I believe the Nexus generally scores higher on benches than the RAZR.

Don't misconstrue this post as anti-RAZR, I am not trying to rag on it. I am sure it is a wonderful device, as there are many happy owners out there with them.

GoBears

Reaction score
Never judge any phone by the performance of a display model. Only the Lord in Heaven knows what the hell has been done to them. Not to mention some displays don't even run a regular firmware.

soulshot96

Reaction score
Think a little too. The gnex has a 720p screen. More pixels to push.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus