R2D2 bootanimation Optimized for D1 (No lag!)

doomedromance

Reaction score
I have optimized the R2D2 bootanimation for the original Droid. It will play smoothly and all the way through. File is half the size!

R2D2 animation here.

Droid 2 boot animation. optimized for Droid. (Untested)

Installation Instructions.
Rooted Users:
Use Root Explorer to move the bootanimation.zip
1. Put on SD Card
2. Rename R2D1_bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.zip (Can be done from computer before copied to SD Card instead.)
3. Copy and Paste it into /data/local (will take up memory used for apps)
alt. 3. Copy and past into /system/media (This will replace your original bootanimation so be sure to rename that file to bootanimation.zip.bak before copying the new one.)
4. Turn off your phone.
5. Turn on your phone.

No Root needed:
*must have Android SDK installed. and put the android-sdk folder on your c drive (c:/android-sdk)
*install the motorola usb drivers for your OS (Win 32bit) (Win 64bit)

rename R2D1_bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.zip and create a folder on your c drive named bootanimation (c:/bootanimation)

Process:
- Open command prompt (cmd.exe)
- cd c:/android-sdk (or /wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is)
- adb devices (to verify the connection - will show your device serial number if connected)
- cd c:/bootanimation
- adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local/bootanimation.zip
- adb reboot

Your phone will now reboot and play your new bootanimation!

Video and original file brought to you by Droid Life
[video=youtube;Km3dZUCTkYY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3dZUCTkYY"]YouTube - Official R2-D2 DROID 2 Boot Animation[/video]

Last edited:

rdoute

Reaction score
I didn't think I had a problem with the "original", rooted and overclocked to 1.25, but gave yours a shot anyway. If just to use root explorer that I just bought. Wow it is lighting fast, very smooth, and plays the whole thing, just like you thought. Thanks

OP
D

doomedromance

Reaction score
So does it play smoother on a Droid than the original? I know the image quality isn't as good, but that had to be sacrificed.

I don't use clockwork mod. But if that's how you did it. It will work that way.

Last edited:
OP
D

doomedromance

Reaction score
do we have to put it in data/local??? I hate using up all my internal memory!!! works great though!

You can put it in /system/media
that's where I always put mine. It won't take up space from apps but that's where the stock boot is so back that up first.

doctordoctor

Reaction score
I am doing this on way to hospital did I mis read op. Do o put file on both locations or choose between the places you have in op? I put file in both places???

droidkevlar

Reaction score
I noticed yours doesnt have the sound. If I coped the ogg file from the OG and changed the txt file to the following, would it work?

480 854 15
p 1 0 part0
p 0 10 part1
s d2_r2d2_pu.ogg

And nice work BTW. Cant wait to test this at home after I get off work.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
works great, question about the video. how did they get the droid-life logo on their lockscreen? is that a DX only thing?

droidkevlar

Reaction score
Not tested this yet as I am at work and no cable but this should be working now with sound. All I did was add a line for sound and the OG .ogg file. To make this work, extract the zip and then do the same as the OP said above but also move the .ogg file to the same location of the bootanimation. Should work. I will test when I get home later tonight and give more detailed instructions if ya guys need.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
so did anyone get it working with sound? i cant try till later, but if it was that simple that would be awesome haha...somehow i think it may not be that simple (or possible) though...

droidkevlar

Reaction score
so did anyone get it working with sound? i cant try till later, but if it was that simple that would be awesome haha...somehow i think it may not be that simple (or possible) though...

Mine should work. All I did was call out the same sound that the OG bootanimation did. I will know 100% in 4 hours when I get home. Will post success or fail. dancedroid