Quick way to silence the phone?

OldMan1955

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
With my old phone, I was able to hit the # sign, and the phone would go to vibrate only. With the Motorola, I did not see any mention of a key to hit or a setting to select for this. Does anyone have a solution to silence the phone with a key press? I go in and out of meetings at work, and I would like to simply press a button to vibrate only.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
on the lock screen. you swipe to the right to unlock and to the left to silence. now that turns off your vibrate feature but there is an app in the market to prevent that

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
With my old phone, I was able to hit the # sign, and the phone would go to vibrate only. With the Motorola, I did not see any mention of a key to hit or a setting to select for this. Does anyone have a solution to silence the phone with a key press? I go in and out of meetings at work, and I would like to simply press a button to vibrate only.

There is an app that changes the volume based on orientation. face down, no ring.

I have a volume control widget and just change the sound as need be, but it is
power on
unlock phone
slide screen to right
click widget
adjust volume for ring volume (which is the same as notifications) and I tend to change media volume at the same time.
then power button back to sleep mode.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
on the lock screen. you swipe to the right to unlock and to the left to silence. now that turns off your vibrate feature but there is an app in the market to prevent that

Forgot that was there. I use it to sometimes ignore a call (same swipe direction) but forgot you can silence the phone too.

CBLJazz

Reaction score
I use the app

BEAUTIFUL WIDGETS

not Free but worth every penny.
There is a BEAUTIFUL SILENT & BEAUTIFUL VIBRATE widget s which I have on my home screen .

Allows me quick access to silent or vibrate mode.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ringer volume control will bring it into Vibrate. It's a single button, but you have to press it several times.

bikedogrun

Reaction score
The ringer volume control will bring it into Vibrate. It's a single button, but you have to press it several times.
Yes; hold the Volume-Down button until it turns volume completely off.

Then 1 press of Volume-Up will turn on Vibrate mode.

/BD dancedroid

Merritt

Reaction score
Like stated, if the screen is locked just press the power button and swipe the sound on/off icon to the right. If you're playing on the phone and it isn't locked just long press the power button and a screen will pop up with 3 options: silent mode, airplane mode, or power off.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
With my old phone, I was able to hit the # sign, and the phone would go to vibrate only. With the Motorola, I did not see any mention of

There is an app that changes the volume based on orientation. face down, no ring.

I have a volume control widget and just change the sound as need be, but it is
power on
unlock phone
slide screen to right
click widget
adjust volume for ring volume (which is the same as notifications) and I tend to change media volume at the same time.
then power button back to sleep mode.
By any chance do you remember the name of that app? I've been looking for an app that silences/ignores calls based on orientation.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Quite a few profiles apps will do this as well. Not a single keypress but you can simply select the appropriate profile to activate.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're familiar with Beautiful Widgets there is a free app called Beautiful Silence Widgets. There are two widgets, one is for Silent and the other is for Vibrate. Single press to turn on or off.

See more at Beautiful Silence Widgets v2.0 Application for Android | Tools

EDIT: I see that CBLJazz already posted this, but I've included a link.

Last edited:

yourhero88

Reaction score
This is just one of those areas where the Droid falls flat in my opinion, and is one of my few gripes with it.

The iPhone really set the standard with the dedicated hardware switch that toggles vibrate. If I need to quickly and/or discreetly turn my volume off, I don't want to have to take the phone out of my pocket, unlock the screen, and press the volume rocker down several times until I reach vibrate.

I hope they at least fix the software button to do that.

cheese1975

Reaction score
quick silence

I know this is an old topic, but i am looking to find an app if out there to put the droid 2 on silence or vibrate from flipping the phone vertically not face down or face up. I am in the military and like to be able to put it right in my pocket and just put it upside down in my pocket to silence it and then just pull it out and flip it over to turn it back to the ringer. I know there are other phones out ther that have that option.

tnronin

Reaction score
Cheese, that is a great feature if someone knows how to get to it.

Thanks for your service!
Airborne leads the way!