quick setcpu question

Deano2423

Reaction score
I have all mr profiles set the way I like them most at 500 max and 250 min, anyway I was wondering if I normaly aim for 800max 250min would increasing the min yield results or would it be harmful to increase the min? If not anyone have any recs for a stable min speed?

Thanks in advance

M

Matth3w

I wouldn't think it would create problems so long as you didn't set it on 800/800 constantly for all profiles.

My regular profile is 550/1000.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Matth3w......I understand it as it will be fine as long as the profiles are not the same above 550

windstrings

Reaction score
I don't see the harm in putting the min all the way down to 125 or so.
The cpu will always run faster if it "needs" to... but if nothing is going on, whats the benefit if using more battery with a cpu running faster with nothing to do?

Some may feel running faster gives an edge on response time... cpu's are pretty stinkin fast.. I don't know if thats notable to measure with the human brain.....

There is something to be said for battery life.

windstrings

Reaction score
It needs to "spin up" if it's at 250. It can create lag.

Its not a hardrive.. what do you mean "spin up?"

I run an AMD chip in my laptop and it rests when not in use to save battery.
I honestly can't see a difference if I make it run full speed all the time or allow it to rest.

If there is a "lag" its a firmware issue, because there shouldn't be any noticeable.

R1Lover

Reaction score
What you need to watch is your load.... I noticed at 125 it was heavy even when resting... I upped it to 250 min and it's much better.

a 500 min is a little overboard though imo.

M

Matth3w

It needs to "spin up" if it's at 250. It can create lag.

Its not a hardrive.. what do you mean "spin up?"

I run an AMD chip in my laptop and it rests when not in use to save battery.
I honestly can't see a difference if I make it run full speed all the time or allow it to rest.

If there is a "lag" its a firmware issue, because there shouldn't be any noticeable.
I don't know how to put it really. It just seems to lag more if it's set to minimum in sleep and not outside of sleep. Probably it takes a few moments for SetCPU to change it, not the CPU itself slowing. Sorry if I misunderstood or conveyed myself poorly.

windstrings

Reaction score
ok... well good to know, I guess it is what it is...

I look forward to installing that as soon as this OTA comes out.....

windstrings

Reaction score
Anybody know what the default minimum is before rooting and such?

I can view it with system info, but Its obviously not sleeping when being viewed.

Does it just cruise at 550 all the time?

I do remember one of the attributes of the Android OS is that it can tone itself down... I just don't know how far that "normally" is.

M

Matth3w

Well I know with the kernel it will go as low as 250 if you keep hitting refresh you might see that. What it is before the kernel I have no clue.

windstrings

Reaction score
Well I know with the kernel it will go as low as 250 if you keep hitting refresh you might see that. What it is before the kernel I have no clue.

You'd think there was an app out there that would measure response time.. similar to HDtach for hardrives.

I don't know how tricky it would be to make it accurate since it would be measuring latency times from the same cpu that it runs off itself....

Don't know.....