Quick root question

powell730

Reaction score
I have finally decided i want to root my phone but before I do anything further...

I used z4 to root my phone (successfully), before I do anything I should back up my current state correct? Right now all I want to do is freeze some bloatware, since this doesn't really seem that dangerous are there any FREE reliable apps out there that I can DL to backup everything before I start freezing apps? Also, will I get an alert as if I weren't rooted when the official DJ05 update is completely released, or will I have to un root and un freeze just to get the notification?

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Last edited:
OP
P

powell730

Reaction score
Update: I tried using clockworkmod to backup my phone and got an error once I selected to backup current rom. I am fully aware as to why I got the error(didn't properly install clockworkmod) and how to correct it but, just out of curiosity I uninstalled rom manager and un rooted my phone. I then rooted it again and installed rom manager again to see if clockworkmod would be erased as well but it was not. This time I didn't have to flash clockworkmod, it said it was still on my phone. Anyone know why clockworkmod would not uninstall once I uninstalled rom manager and un rooted?

Note: the only reason why I checked to see if it was gone when I un rooted is if I needed to take back my phone to verizon for any tech issues (obviously not related to root), is to see if they could find out if I had modded my phone. The only way I was able to tell that clockworkmod was on my phone is when I loaded rom manager it listed my current version of it. Otherwise I would have never been able to tell, I rebooted my phone and nothing looked different (not sure if a simple reboot is supposed to be altered with a proper clockworkmod installation).

Thanks for any and all help!

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
No. I just unrooted my d1 to clear it for resale. Did a factory reset and that removed CW. Also manually deleted the CW folder in the SD.

Sent from my Fascinate using Droidforums app

OP
P

powell730

Reaction score
I think I may want to flash a ROM onto my phone but I have a few questions first.

1. If I successfully create a backup of my phone using clockworkmod before I make any changes then decide to flash a ROM... Lets say that I dont like the ROM and I'd rather go back to stock.. If I then flash the image that I created when I backed up my phone on CWM will my phone go back to the "Rooted Stock 2.1" that I currently have?

2. If I flash any rom on my phone then I no longer will receive alerts when their are OTA updates availabe such as Froyo and the DJ05 update correct?

3. If I do flash a rom and decide to stick with it, can I use titaium backup to put all of my apps back on my phone?

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Yes

Depends on the ROM but probably not.

Yes. Much easier and faster of you have the paid version. Worth it!

Sent from my Fascinate using Droidforums app

OP
P

powell730

Reaction score
Awesome thank you! So if I make a backup now, then flash a rom and then in 2 weeks the dj05 update is released I could just just flash my backup, un root and get the update?

Also, how are you liking your fascinate compared to the d1? I made the same switch and I'm loving it!

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Awesome thank you! So if I make a backup now, then flash a rom and then in 2 weeks the dj05 update is released I could just just flash my backup, un root and get the update?

Also, how are you liking your fascinate compared to the d1? I made the same switch and I'm loving it!

Yes, your plan is sound. I have been debating if I want to do this as well or wait first until dj05 is released and maybe until 2.2 is released as well before I ROM -- if I even choose to ROM. I am happy just being rooted where I am able to make a few tweaks and I use ADW Launcher so that gets rid of the TouchWiz aspects that I do not like. I do not need to overclock as this is already a fast phone. On my D1 I felt I needed to. I am leaning toward JT's Clean ROM because I want to check out how "stock Android" it is. If it is truly stock, I might stock with it...

As far as my transition from the D1 to this? Couldn't be happier. Don't miss the physical keyboard like I thought I would. The screen size is not too big at all--just right. I bought this on eBay and I have an upgrade availble. So i may flip this phone out i a couple months... but I may actually wait now until there is something that is truly an upgrade... since I like this so much, I may wait and get that Galaxy S2 that has been leaked since I happy with Samsung (just wish the plastic didn't feel so... lightweight...)