Questions re unrooting and the OTA update to Froyo

xliderider

Reaction score
I'm running a custom 2.1 rom now. I would like to unroot my Droid to get the OTA update to 2.2 when it comes out.

I see that I can install an unrooted stock 2.01 rom through rom manager. Will I get the update to 2.2 if I leave my Droid at 2.01, or do I have to go to 2.1? Also, can I just do Menu, Settings, About, Check For Updates to get to 2.1?

Thanks. :)

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
Ah, I fully expected these questions. ;)

I did, and all the other froyo roms out there. Every single one causes my Droid to freeze, lag, and become totally unresponsive. I wipe data and cache 3 times before installing all roms, but same result every time.

Therefore, I want to be totally stock when I load the official OTA update to 2.2.

Then I will go to Verizon and get a replacement Droid under warranty. I couldn't take my Droid in till the official 2.2 came out and tell them "I need another Droid, because this one wont run 2.2". ;)

dmartins

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a kernel problem.
I have had problems with some of the ULV kernels and LV kernels.
I just installed the P3 Standard Voltage kernel a few days ago.
Running it at Max 550MHz Min 125MHz and 0 problems.
I'm running the stock FRG01B from my instructions.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html
Getting back to stock (SBF method):

You will need to have RSD Lite installed to flash the stock 2.01 sbf file for Motorola Droid.

Download the following file:
  1. Connect your phone to the PC via USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
  2. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
  3. If your phone is not displayed in the "model" column you may need to do the following:
    1. Select the "config" option from the upper left corner of the tool
    2. Select DeviceId Options
    3. Select one of the two options available. By default neither are chosen, and my phone shows up fine with neither one selected.
  4. Click the [...] next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file you want to use and double click the .sbf file.
  5. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress.
  6. Your phone will reboot and you will be on a stock 2.01 phone with no root installed.
Credit to ikithme for the original post, Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf, which I've altered slightly here.

You now are on a stock phone, unrooted, just like when you first got your phone. You can apply the OTA (over the air) update files to get to the current version.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
Thanks for the unroot, sbf instructions. :)

I have tried many different kernels, including standard voltage kernels. No difference as far as the freezing, FCs and unresponsive screens. :(

tCub

Reaction score
I just did this on Saturday, worked okay however I wasn't receiving any OTA updates. Possibly due to the upcoming 2.2 update coming tomorrow(!)..

Keep us updated as to whether or not they work for you.

Keep in mind if you don't get the OTA updates, you'll need to 2.1. I had to do this because I started at 2.0 anyway... Good luck!

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html
Getting back to stock (SBF method):

You will need to have RSD Lite installed to flash the stock 2.01 sbf file for Motorola Droid.

Download the following file:
2.01 stock sbf file
  1. Connect your phone to the PC via USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
  2. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
  3. If your phone is not displayed in the "model" column you may need to do the following:
    1. Select the "config" option from the upper left corner of the tool
    2. Select DeviceId Options
    3. Select one of the two options available. By default neither are chosen, and my phone shows up fine with neither one selected.
  4. Click the [...] next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file you want to use and double click the .sbf file.
  5. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress.
  6. Your phone will reboot and you will be on a stock 2.01 phone with no root installed.
Credit to ikithme for the original post, Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf, which I've altered slightly here.

You now are on a stock phone, unrooted, just like when you first got your phone. You can apply the OTA (over the air) update files to get to the current version.

Can I just use the above procedure to flash the ESE81 sbf file from here to get to 2.1 direct?

Peter Alfonso: Downloads

I'm assuming by doing that I will be unrooted and lose any custom recovery (SPRecovery/CW Mod recovery), which is bone stock like I want to be?

Last edited by a moderator:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
To truly get back to stock 2.1 with the stock recovery you'll have to flash the 2.0.1 sbf, then update to 2.1...the 2.1 ota probably won't hit automatically now, but I know dmartins has a link for that, too, that I can't easily get to since I'm using tapatalk.

Just out of curiosity, when you tried anything 2.2, did you give it a good 30 minutes to 1 hour to sync up and everything? I know it can be pretty laggy at first.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
30 minutes, yes. 1 hour, no. I'm not that patient. ;)

Can it be in standby for that hour? And do I have to bump up my low end cpu speed setting in setcpu to keep it from locking up?

Sometimes my Droid reboots when I leave it in standby to sync the contacts and apps. Sometimes the droid freezes right on the Google sign-in screen, when it has the Finish button. I press the Finish button, and the screen is already locked up and doesn't respond. :(

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
Well, I'll be durned. It seems to have worked. :) I'm on FRG01B 2.2 woohoo. :D

I left the Droid alone for about 30 minutes before I couldn't resist picking it up and checking it. It did spontaneously reboot at the 20 minute mark though.

So far, everything is smooth, nothing like previous attempts. For some reason though I loaded an 800mhz P3 kernel but my setcpu is only showing 600mhz Max. Yes, I did select autodetect.

Oh well, I'll make a backup and try reloading the kernel. Thanks for the advice.

Jejackson

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone is still reading this right now but i'm curious,

xliderider, did your droid screen ever go completely blank from rooted froyo rom? I'm in the middle of DLing the 2.0.1 sbf to see if reflashing this will save my phone...or at least make it a valid return to Verizon

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
I dont know if anyone is still reading this right now but i'm curious,

xliderider, did your droid screen ever go completely blank from rooted froyo rom? I'm in the middle of DLing the 2.0.1 sbf to see if reflashing this will save my phone...or at least make it a valid return to Verizon

Yes it did, many times. A battery pull and a reboot into recovery (Power on while holding down the X key) is all it takes to reset. You do have some nandroid backups to fall back on, right?

On the other front, I made a backup and loaded another kernel, and I still get 600mhz max CPU speed. Then I got the dreaded screen freezing and lagging and unresponsiveness again. Have to go back to 2.1 till I can figure this out.