Question on opening new lines and 30 day returns

Nator76

Reaction score
Hello all, i am currently a iphone 3g user and im strongly considering the droid and switching back to big red (i was a customer for 7 years before switching) Here is what i want to ask

-Can i start a new line with Verizon and get a so to speak trial with the droid (i want to make sure it works well with my career and our email system) and if i dont like it, return it before 30 days and pay restocking fees ect ect?

- If i DO like the droid ( i know ill like the service) can i have my att number ported over to my newly opened account? Changing my number is not an option, but i do want to test drive the droid and make sure this phone is right for me. I love the iphone but ATT is just garbage.

I searched this all over and couldnt find this exact scenario. Your help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

MarkB

Reaction score
Hi Nator,

Yes for sure. This is exactly what I'm doing now. Except I didn't have an iPhone but that shouldn't make a difference. I'm still using my windows mobile phone on AT&T, but I have my droid with a new verizon provided number. Once I'm sure that I want to keep the droid, Verizon will port the number over from AT&T and the Verizon number will go *poof*. I bought mine through wirefly and they will handle the porting actually.

Hope that helps!

OP
N

Nator76

Reaction score
Hi Nator,

Yes for sure. This is exactly what I'm doing now. Except I didn't have an iPhone but that shouldn't make a difference. I'm still using my windows mobile phone on AT&T, but I have my droid with a new verizon provided number. Once I'm sure that I want to keep the droid, Verizon will port the number over from AT&T and the Verizon number will go *poof*. I bought mine through wirefly and they will handle the porting actually.

Hope that helps!

guys thanks, thats awesome. Your help appreciated!! Any idea how much the restock fee is? and do you get charged or prorated for that months service with verizon if you decided not to get to the droid? (im building a case to rationalize this with my wife, lol)

wolfpelt

Reaction score
I can also confirm both things are possible as I am also looking to switch from AT&T (iPhone) to the Droid. I just got fed up with At&Ts poor reception and dropped calls and the iPhones terrible battery life. I use it for business and it is very irritating.

The Verizon salesperson tod me the phone can be returned within 30 days for a 35$ restocking fee. The contract will be cancelled as well. No issues in porting an AT&T phone number.

So far I like the Droid alot; better battery life and better reception. I got used to the new interface very quickly as it is very similar to the iPhone's. All of the apps i was using on the iPhone are available for the Droid. Looks like I am going to make the switch.

MarkB

Reaction score
My understanding is that you do get pro rated on usage - and actually the materials I have from Wirefly say there's no restocking fee unless you end up choosing a different phone. I saw similar things in print from Verizon. Nator, I think your best bet will be a little digging on the Verizon site for the contract and return policy details. There are links to those things available without having to go through the purchase process, I just can't link them easily here since they are dynamic pages and I'd end up saying "click this link, then look for the other link", etc.