Question on Apps2SD

mightym

Reaction score
Why is my apps2sd button in my phone settings grayed out? I can't enable apps2sd because of this. Do i have to partition my sdcard via RM?

mightym

Reaction score
Thanks rotodroid for that alternative ..... Does anyone know where on the sdcard the apps are?
/sd-ext/

Why is my apps2sd button in my phone settings grayed out? I can't enable apps2sd because of this. Do i have to partition my sdcard via RM?
did you partition your sd-card?

no, is there any special procedure to do in RM with partitioning or is it just hit button and let it do its thing?

1up

Reaction score
Thanks rotodroid for that alternative ..... Does anyone know where on the sdcard the apps are?
/sd-ext/

did you partition your sd-card?

no, is there any special procedure to do in RM with partitioning or is it just hit button and let it do its thing?

You can read about it in the FAQ thread - see apps2sd section http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/38415-official-f-q-cyanogenmod.html

If you're lazy, it's as easy as 3 clicks through ROM Manager. Backup your SD Card if you have anything you care about (music, pics, apps, etc). everything on it will be deleted.

OP
titans

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes connect your phone to your computer, and copy ALL files in the SD card to your computer. It will all be erased. Then let ROM manager work its magic.

droidlayman

Reaction score
Found an microSD 16gb on ebay for 20 bucks and free shipping. The card is a Class 2, and since the Droid is limited to that transfer speed due to hardware restrictions, I would like to buy one, partition and use. Dumb question, do I just remove the old card and replace with the new. Will this work without any swap, etc? Looked all through threads before asking... really did. thanks for any advice on this.

Droids

Reaction score
Found an microSD 16gb on ebay for 20 bucks and free shipping. The card is a Class 2, and since the Droid is limited to that transfer speed due to hardware restrictions, I would like to buy one, partition and use. Dumb question, do I just remove the old card and replace with the new. Will this work without any swap, etc? Looked all through threads before asking... really did. thanks for any advice on this.
Should work just fine. Wouldn't be any different than if you wiped/formatted your existing card. Just install it and boot the phone, then use the phone's utility to format the card or use Rom Manger to partition and format the card. Only issue would be if you had already partitioned your existing card to use apps2sd and moved your apps to the sd card. In that case you'd need to move them back to internal memory before swapping cards.

Droids

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. I used RM to create a 512MB partition and moved every single app to it, except those in system of course, and the phone and all apps have been working just fine. Running CM 5.0.6.1 stock. No swap partition created and no plans to add the swap. I love how everything just works. Thanks Koush.

droidlayman

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!!! Sorry for the delay in responding, with the new forum I was locked out. Is 512mb as large of partition that can be used??? I have a source I am trying to confirm for 32gb cards... at a very good price. Real... who knows, but at least I can load up the music on the phone.
Thanks again!!!!!!

ldimick

Reaction score
Hmm for some reason new apps I install will be listed as stored on the SD card, so Apps2SD did work, but it's not giving me an option to move my existing apps..odd

The only apps that can be moved are the ones installed AFTER you partitioned your SD card and AFTER you enabled Apps2SD.

To check where the App is installed:

Go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications.
- Choose an application
- In there you will see a category called Storage
o under that you will see - - Install Location…………..SD Card.

If it doesn’t say SD card then it’s installed on the phone

Thats not true. I have moved several apps that were installed BEFORE I partitioned the card and before APPS2SD was enabled.

droidlayman

Reaction score
It was my understanding that you can move "market" apps or any app not part of the ROM install to sdcard after partition and sd2app install, using application manager... at least that what multiple post have stated by those who wrote them, whomever "those" are.

rotordroid

Reaction score
I have seen cases where some themes that modify Settings.apk "break" the appearance of the "move" button. If you have apps2sd enabled and don't have the "move" button, that is NOT normal behavior (for non-system apps). Try pushing the Settings.apk from your original ROM to you /system/app partition and see if that fixes the problem