Question about rooting with a Mac

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok so I broke out the oldschool XP Sony and downloaded all the files he showed in the unroot/unbrick your phone thread. I did everything as shown, seemed like it was working but when it got to 100% it said flashing failed. Now I am assuming it did this because I don't have any hi-speed usb ports on that computer, can someone confirm this for me? If that is the case, is there a work around?

Dandroid247

Reaction score
I have had no problems with doing anything using my mac. i have made changes to xml files and .apk files and changed things up to how I want them i use keka to compress the files before i push them back onto my phone using adb. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. and i will help if I can.

ill check keka out cause i really wanted to do some icon work and what not but never could get the compression i needed. thanks.

Rodvette23

Reaction score
For the most part, I have had no issues rooting/installing nandroid/installing custom roms/ flashing sprecovery with my Mac. That being said, you shouldn't have an issue with using your Mac to do most of these things that you need to do to tweek your droid. It was ONLY when I tried to flash my droid using rsdlite I had issues. I used WINE but it just kept crashing on me. My suggestion to you is use a family/friend laptop (that isnt mac) or a PC desktop. Its a lot less headache. Only when it comes to flashing the droid with rsdlite.

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I am gonna try my boot camp partition on my mac tomorrow and see if I can flash the sbf using windows on my mac. Has anyone else tried this? If not I will report back on my hopeful success or my failure.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm using vmware on my macbook / i have both xp and 7 installed in diff virtual machines ... 7 works better :) Makes it easy to drop and drag, etc... I used 7 to downgrade via RSDLite.

So I am gonna try my boot camp partition on my mac tomorrow and see if I can flash the sbf using windows on my mac. Has anyone else tried this? If not I will report back on my hopeful success or my failure.

I was gonna suggest yesterday dual boot, Parallels, or VMWare. I thought I read somewhere VMWare didnt work good with USB ports. justreboot, what version of VMWare are u using? Maybe using the latest WIndows OS did the trick?

OP
OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The upside to boot camp is that I don't have to spend 80 dollars on parallels or vmware. If I needed those programs for more than just rooting my droid than I would have no problem with that but that is more money than I want to spend on a program just to customize my phone.