Pulling maps from email

offroad2000

Reaction score
I'm trying to use Google maps on my home pc and map directions. I want to change how it is routing me which you can easily do on your home pc and then email that to myself. That way I can pull it up on my phone. However, when I click on the link and select maps to open it, it doesn't work. When it comes up in maps, I hit GO and the phone acts like it's searching for directions and then nothing. Is there any other way to do this? I don't want to go the way the phone is routing me.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to use Google maps on my home pc and map directions. I want to change how it is routing me which you can easily do on your home pc and then email that to myself. That way I can pull it up on my phone. However, when I click on the link and select maps to open it, it doesn't work. When it comes up in maps, I hit GO and the phone acts like it's searching for directions and then nothing. Is there any other way to do this? I don't want to go the way the phone is routing me.

I don't know about the email thing, but if you want to go a different route I heard this can be done in the layers. Notice I said "heard" I haven't tried it myself. So you may want to play around in the layers and see if you can't manipulate the map to give you the desired directions.

OP
O

offroad2000

Reaction score
Thanks, hookbill. I found "My Maps" in the layers. I created one on my pc and found it on my phone. However, I can't find out to turn My Maps into turn-by-turn directions.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't found a way either. It doesn't seem to treat your maps as a navigation route. You can hit My Location and follow the route in Google Maps but you won't get voice prompts or anything.

Google Maps/Nav just doesn't seem to handle alternate route options at this point.

Detonation

Reaction score
What about doing Layers > My Maps > Choose map, then hitting the Detail button in the button left corner, choose the "Direction to...", click the road sign with the arrow, then choose navigate? I can't test it right now so I don't know if it actually uses your route or just downloads the default GPS route.

GolfProRM

Reaction score
There is a way to choose your route within the Nav app (to a point). When you're in the Nav, press Menu -> Route Info This brings up an overall route map. If Google sees multiple routes, it will have a button on the bottom of the screen (shows two arrows pointing to a destination marker). Click that and then you can choose your route (from the options at the top of the screen). You're still limited by what Google likes for routes, but the route you want may be there.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
turn by turn with my maps

After you open the map from my maps on you phone in a layer. All you have to do is touch the destination point on the map you want and it will pop up the address,
touch the address and it will bring up a new window with the option to get directions.
Touch directions and a new window pops up asking if you want to navigate or get directions.

Is this what you were after ?

Thanks, hookbill. I found "My Maps" in the layers. I created one on my pc and found it on my phone. However, I can't find out to turn My Maps into turn-by-turn directions.