PS3 Controller for Droid X via bluetooth

Nominchul

Reaction score
I just discovered a way to capture my PS3 controller with my droid X. Only problem is that the droid now asks for the PS3 controller's pin when pairing. Ive tried all the typical pins (0000, 1234) but it just keeps saying "pairing" for a couple minutes and then stops without giving any kind of feedback. I'll post instructions for picking up the PS3 controller with the droid tomorrow but for now id appreciate any suggestions on finalizing the pairing. Perhaps its as simple as I need a driver for it?

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't think you can via bluetooth. The bluetooth in droids is pretty limited from what i remember.

OP
N

Nominchul

Reaction score
False

I spent an hour last night playing Super Mario World on my droid X using a Wii classic controller via bluetooth, so its definitely capable.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's interesting however i was assuming the bluetooth in the droid x was the same as the moto droid because my droid wasn't even able to connect to my palm via bluetooth

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
maybe head over to a ps3 forum to see what they have connected the controller with

Guitar

Reaction score
I've been looking around and saw this article [July-17] CobaltController - PS3/Wii Controller Driver for Windows Mobile - xda-developers the article states that on a windows mobile phone, the first time you try to connect your ps3 controller to it, it asks for a pin. The person states to keep hitting cancel until it gives up on connecting, then try to reconnect again. There is also a program they have to try to pair your controller with your phone via computer. You may want to give that a shot, and let us know if it works. Good Luck!!!

LE25

Reaction score
the add on nunchuck and classic controller are also compatible...

Lurkingfear

Reaction score
Are there any bluetooth controllers you can connect to a regular droid not a X?

Ronin_Asturias

Reaction score
As someone who works for Playstation support, I can tell you you're likely going to run into issues trying to pair over bluetooth. The controllers are set to pair over a usb connection and share the PIN at that time, allowing them to connect.

So, anyone want to get started on a USB host mod?

iNoMaD

Reaction score
I just discovered a way to capture my PS3 controller with my droid X. Only problem is that the droid now asks for the PS3 controller's pin when pairing. Ive tried all the typical pins (0000, 1234) but it just keeps saying "pairing" for a couple minutes and then stops without giving any kind of feedback. I'll post instructions for picking up the PS3 controller with the droid tomorrow but for now id appreciate any suggestions on finalizing the pairing. Perhaps its as simple as I need a driver for it?

You by chance wouldn't be planning on posting those instructions anytime soon....:icon_eek:

darkmatter

Reaction score
With dual core phones, and the psp store for android, someone needs to make this possible, or build a controller to pair with android devices. Maybe even mimic the flat contoller from the psp phone for portability.

Bionic with a contoller and emulators would rule my world.

shmurple

Reaction score
possible wordaround

so from what I understand the ps3 controller pairs via usb and after its paired it can be used via bluetooth, i know this has been done on windows because I use my ps3 controller as a windows gamepad, so then couldn't we figure out away to hook up the phone and the ps3 controller to the pc at the same time and have some program on the pc (maybe both pc and phone) that would pair the two devices, im not a programmer or anything but I thought id put my two cents in would be great to see this work

iamwill

Reaction score
Maybe it is far fetched... but there is already support for Bluetooth support for PS3 controllers in Linux. I know that the standard linux OS and the Android OS are similar (yet very different), however, I don't see it being that difficult. I successfully got my PS3 controller to sync with my Gentoo Linux box. The key was, I had to connect it via USB first, then it worked via Bluetooth afterwards. I do remember it being a little difficult, but I am going to do it again and write the steps down. IN the mean time, for anyone who is interested...

For the Xoom (and other motorola products)..
Motorola Mini-USB to Micro-USB Charging Adapter | BlackBerry Chargers & Cables

to connect he controller (will need a mini to fullsize converter as well)

and....

Using the PlayStation 3 controller in Bluetooth mode with Linux