Programs no longer working after 2.2 install

Jonpwn

Reaction score
2.2 was installed on my phone tuesday afternoon. at the time, i was using an older version of Dolphin Browser (the one right before they removed the youtube downloader), and the instant messenger program "Hello IM". when i try to sign on to AIM via hello IM, i get this message:
"sign in failed due to network problems. please try again later, (SSL handshake failure: I/O error during system call, Broken pipe)"

with Dolphin Browser, i can open it, and as soon as i try to type something into the address bar, dolphin browser instantly force closes, occasionally the "force close" box will pop up for a split second.

any tips on how i can fix this? preferably without updating dolphin browser?
and i'm using an unrooted motorola droid.

thanks in advance

harrellj

Reaction score
Unfortunately, you probably are going to have to update Dolphin browser (and possibly Hi AIM though I'm unfamiliar with that app). If an app isn't written for 2.2, they'll have problems. Think of modern OS' on computers, like XP vs Vista. Some programs work beautifully on both, no problems. Most had to be updated to be compatible with Vista.

OP
J

Jonpwn

Reaction score
okay, makes sense..
and hello IM used to be a paid application but my former-android friend sent it to me and i was never able to find it on the market and never received update notifications for it..
thanks anyways.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dolphin HD when it first came out (the one with the youtube downloader) was THE BEST browser I've ever used on android. I wanted to track down that apk myself. I think that many apps have had to update since then to work under 2.2. The current dolphin hd is ok but will probably annoy you a bit. The dev promises some performance enhancements in the coming weeks.

I just wish the stock browser had tabs and a persistent user agent string setting.

Last edited:

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just an FYI.. I am using the UD 7.0 ROM which is based off the OTA. They have a box in the settings you can check to make the app think you are running 2.1. Works like a charm. Otherwise, just wait for dolphon or any other program to update.

Kinda like compatability mode in Windows 7.

OP
J

Jonpwn

Reaction score
Just an FYI.. I am using the UD 7.0 ROM which is based off the OTA. They have a box in the settings you can check to make the app think you are running 2.1. Works like a charm. Otherwise, just wait for dolphon or any other program to update.

Kinda like compatability mode in Windows 7.

wat

sorry i'm not much of a tech guy, is it possible to dumb it down for me because that sounds like a good and plausible solution.

harrellj

Reaction score
He's running a rooted phone, specifically using the ROM known as Ultimate Droid version 7.0. Or in other words, he's not using stock.

OP
J

Jonpwn

Reaction score
k got it.
still unsure if i want to root my phone or not, sounds fun but i don' tknow if i'd be using it to it's maximum potential

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
k got it.
still unsure if i want to root my phone or not, sounds fun but i don' tknow if i'd be using it to it's maximum potential

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Rooting or not rooting is entirely upto you.

I can tell you that I bought a droid (never even used one or messed with one). Rooted it as soon as I got home(got addicted) and then went nuts. Messing up all the way but since I had backups, I just reinstalled and did it til I got it.

So, what am I saying? Rooting will in turn addict you to the phone, make you spend hours messing with it, frustrate you, make you extremely happy and then recycle.

OP
J

Jonpwn

Reaction score
haha
well here is not the place for it, but since we're on the topic, rooting will give me more access to more things and allow my phone to do more than if it were stock?

plus i'm extremely conservative with my battery. i'm always scared to play with it at work just so i know for sure that it won't die before i go home. yet, since the update on tuesday, my phone used only 20% of it's battery from 8am to 7pm when i got home. not sure if it's because my IM program wasn't running and wasn't constantly refreshing the buddy list.

is a rooted phone any better with the battery?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes, and just rooting will change nothing about your battery life sinced you did not install a new rom, kernel, theme, etc...

As far as battery life is concerned, I can run about 48 hours when not screwing with the phone till my battery dies. All I can say is that if you do root and get a rom, learn SetCPU and get Juice Defender.

OP
J

Jonpwn

Reaction score
thanks for the tips, i have juice defender installed already but i still need to learn how to use it. (free version btw)

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm banging out the free version as well. Just let it run it's setup thing and then at the top center enable it.

Live Wallpaper but, you see what rooting can do to a home screen. Waht else can it do? Only 1 way to find out :)

Last edited:

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just noticed I need to change the Visual Voice Mail icon...lol

OP
J

Jonpwn

Reaction score
looks really nice and visually appealing, much better than the crap that i have right now haha