Proclips car dock with built in charger released today....

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I would rather have something more universal being that I have 2 vehicles. This is pretty much custom to your car. Decent idea for those who just have 1 car.

OP
W

wats6831

Reaction score
I would rather have something more universal being that I have 2 vehicles. This is pretty much custom to your car. Decent idea for those who just have 1 car.

one thing you can do that I've seen others do is get the proclip mount for each car and then use the VZW suction mount holder and take it from car to car easily.

therock

Reaction score
I have the non powered version. I already had the clip & stick on mount for my console to hold my old enV2 and now have the droid holder there. It's nice.

The swivel mount can be rotated and tilted easily and will hold it's position in rough ride conditions. The Droid slides into it with a firm enough fit and allows for a one handed insertion or extraction with enough drag it will not pop out on bumpy roads. I have not had to move it due to sunlight yet but its nice that I can should I get into such an angle.

I use the Belkin mini USB adapter charger and a 1.5 foot cord. I think they could have designed the lighter plug a little more compact but If you want it charging when its in the cradle without dealing with the cord every time you got it.

For the money on either unit you get a nice tailor made cradle that's not bulky.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from Proclips that the charging car dock is ready to ship.ProClip Mounting System*-*Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Cigarette Lighter Adapter doesn't have a magnet but I'm guessing that hopefully it's easy to put one on the back.
I hope they also make one with a USB pass-through. I'd rather hardwire the power without hacking a cigarette lighter connector.

I know it's also expensive. :mad:
They are but you get what pay for IMO. I've always used their device holders.

The Move Clips from ProClip work fairly well in my experience but that still requires that you buy mounts for each of your vehicles. I tend to prefer such an approach as I've never been happy with the universal solutions that I've tried.

The only downside to the Move Clip is that if you bump the device holder in a certain way you can knock the device holder loose. I'm going to remove the Move Clips that I have since my fiancee and I both have Droids and there's no reason any more to swap device holders between our cars.

one thing you can do that I've seen others do is get the proclip mount for each car and then use the VZW suction mount holder and take it from car to car easily.
I'd highly recommend looking at Panavise's brackets for the vehicle mount over ProClip. ProClip's device holders easily screw on to the Panavise brackets.

Last edited:

Tim K

Reaction score
I just got an email from Proclips that the charging car dock is ready to ship.ProClip Mounting System*-*Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and Cigarette Lighter Adapter doesn't have a magnet but I'm guessing that hopefully it's easy to put one on the back.
I'm about to order one, but I'm a little bummed about the magnet. I thought this would THE car dock to wait for. Thoughts?

I know it's also expensive. :mad:

The Droid car dock is great but the magnet and auto-car mode feature is actually annoying. I don't really like car mode. I find myself constantly trying to get to the home screen and wish I could turn car mode OFF. I may actually remove the battery. I think the biggest flaw in car mode is the lack of a shortcut to the media player.

myriad46

Reaction score

I see what you mean, in that you can't just take it out and put it in your other car. However, I think Proclips is a good solution in that you can transfer it to a new car. It has a custom mount for your specific vehicle, so that your phone is not hanging on the windshield (and falling off) or jiggling like an epileptic. Then, when you buy a new car, you need only get a new custom half for the new car and your existing bracket for your phone would still work.

Also, if you ditch the Droid and get a Nexus One, you could just buy that half over again.

The price is what has kept me from buying one for so long, but I finally gave in.

I will NOT be buying the hardwired version. I was able to navigate for a 3 hour car ride and the batter was still at 60% when I got there. Pretty impressive. So, haveing to plug in a cord manually, when I need to, is fine with me.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the mount without the charger and I'm very happy with it -- same as all the former ProClip device mounts I've owned.