Problems with Text Messages not going through (Droid X)

groovejedi

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, this is my first post but I've been reading a lot over the last few weeks. I seem to have a problem with texting certain people in my phonebook. The texts just don't go through. I finally figured out that these numbers had a random + sign in front of the phone number so I removed it and the next message I sent to that particular friend went through with no problem.

However, I'm noticing that if the friend responds, and I try to reply, the + appears again in the phone number at the top of the thread. But when I go to edit the contact, it's not there. So, in order to send a message, I have to delete the entire conversation and then send a new one each time. This is unbelievably annoying and frustrating. Does anyone know a fix for this issue? I'm on a Droid X and this issue is pissing me off! :)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Sorry you are having issues with texting. I've not experienced this particular issue but I'm thinking it has something to do with the way your contacts are set up. I have a Droid so my contacts and setting may be different. Open your contacts and settings then see if there is a setting for overseas or something unusual. Have you looked in your Gmail settings to see if everything is correct there?

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
G

groovejedi

Reaction score
Contacts

Thanks for your reply. I don't think there are any hidden settings I'm missing but I updated all the numbers in Google Contacts so hopefully that fixes it.

Which I guess brings me to another question. Which takes precedence over the other, Google Contacts or the phone? In other words, if I make a change in the phone and it syncs, does it overwrite what's in my Google Contacts or is it vice versa?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I believe that they are equal. If you have the phone set to sync with your Gmail contacts any change you make on the phone will automatically go to your Gmail and changes you make in Gmail will go to the phone. I'm sure mine works that way. I just looked at my Gmail and it even tell me how many contacts I have stared as favorites.

Mike

OP
G

groovejedi

Reaction score
I discovered the problem awhile ago but forgot to post the solution. So, I've returned to this thread to post the solution in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

It seems that if some of your contacts have a + symbol in front of the phone number, text messages may not go through. To fix this, go into Google Contacts and update all your phone numbers, removing the + sign from any numbers that have it.

This will fix the problem!

zaphod23

Reaction score
Here's the problem: When you do the sync on account w/ FB - it puts the FB contact phone number in the default position!! VERY frustrating!!!!!!
Then you go to text someone and if they ever gave their number to FB it shows up w/ a "+" in the front and the SMS system does NOT like that.
One more reason I love to hate FB!!!