Problems with Droid Eris - Please Help

jpzsports

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a HTC Droid Eris about a week ago from Best Buy, without a contract. I'm using it with Page Plus Cellular, which is a Prepaid MVNO using the Verizon Wireless Network. It has been working great, except for a few problems. I'm trying to figure out whether I can fix these problems, deal with them, or if they are hardware problems and I should exchange it for a new device.

1. The first problem I have is when I turn on my Droid Eris, it reboots 2 or 3 times. When I turn on the phone, after the Android guy on the skateboard loads, the Verizon Wireless logo comes on and then the little Android pops up, and then it happens again. It seems to freeze right when the little shine reaches the middle of the C in "HTC". It then restarts at the Verizon Wireless logo again. Then it either loads properly or does this one more time. Also, for some reason, the first time it boots, it's really loud (the startup jingle) and the 2nd/3rd time, it's quieter.

2. Next problem: I set up my Droid Eris to sync my contacts with their Facebook profile so that their photos would show up in my contacts. I synced them all and them matched up properly, but their pictures are not aligned properly. A lot of my contacts have their head not in the photo or just misaligned. More than half are off.

I thought at first it was that they didn't set up their picture properly on Facebook, but I looked at their mini pictures (like the ones that show up in the news feed) and their faces were showing up properly. Even their mini pictures on the facebook app are correct. And these seem to be the same size as the pics in my contacts.

Why is it that my contacts photos aren't aligned right on some of them?

3. The last issue I have, although it may not be an issue, is signal reception. I'm coming over from ATT and was expecting Verizon to have even better coverage. But in my house, my signal is wavering and usually low. I have between 1 and 3 bars and it keeps moving. Also, even when it shows no bars, I still can make calls. The signal bars don't seem too accurate.
My friend has a Blackberry Storm with Verizon and has 4 bars when he's in my house. Shouldn't mine be the same?

So if you can help me with any of these issues, it would be much appreciated. I'm trying to determine whether my problems are unique or common issues. Besides what I mentioned above, my phone has been working great and I love it.

Thank You!

sgm-co

Reaction score
No real answers here. I do find my FB pictures are all distorted. The FB Android App doesn't seem to resize appropriately. Maybe a fix out there?

As for the reboots. A new phone might be in store.

lowtech

Reaction score
I do not know about the Facebook issues, but I can say that, if my phone was rebooting like that I would immediately return it for a replacement!

Also, many folks, including me, have inconsistent signal strength, according to the bars that are showing. However, if I can make and receive calls I pay no attention to what those bars are doing.

I will mention that the strength of the antenna on this phone seems less than my prior phone. A software update is coming in the first Q of this year which, it is hoped, will address that issue. I am usually able to make or receive a call, with some exceptions, depending on my location at the time. I live in a very rural area, so my coverage is not dependable with any phone...

Overall, this is a wonderful phone. I hope you will try a replacement and that it will work well for you.

Guchi

Reaction score
i would exchange for sure... how does data work on your prepaid?

lowtech

Reaction score
i would exchange for sure... how does data work on your prepaid?

I have a 2 year contract with Verizon - I have been a customer for years, partly because they are the only carrier with service in our area - or most of our area...! :) Sorry - I have never used a prepaid, so I have no experience with that.

OP
J

jpzsports

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies :)

So it seems like the Facebook photos and signal issues are common and not just a problem with my phone.

And for some reason, when I turned on my phone today, it booted up normally with no restarts for the first time in a while :)

I have to test some things out because I had wifi disabled before I shut it off last, so maybe that may have had something to do with it booting right this time?

I'm not really sure, but besides that issue, my phone has been working great and I'd really hate to have to return and exchange it and reinstall all my stuff.

how does data work on your prepaid?

My plan costs $30/month for 1200 minutes/1200 texts/50 mb data.

For me, this is a great deal since I can't afford one of the Verizon plans, plus I don't really need much data anyways. I'm usually near wifi when I need data.