Problem with security when purchasing through app store.

MonaCK

Reaction score
So we're pretty sure that our credit card information was stolen when we purchased an app from the google app store. I would highly, highly suggest that all of you who have purchased apps check your credit card statements and make sure that all charges that are on your card, are charges that you authorized.

Someone bought another $40 worth of apps, and then tried to charge about $1000 in electronics. Luckily for us, we happened to be checking our credit card statement (which is linked to our checking account) because we were getting ready to do some bill paying, so we caught it pretty quickly, and the vendors are working with us to reverse the charges.

Our next call is to Google. Just curious to see if anyone else is in the same predicament.

This was our first purchase at the app store. Unfortunately, it's looking now like it'll be our last. :(

OP
M

MonaCK

Reaction score
Nope. On my secured home network.
Actually wasn't on wifi at all, now that I think about it.
I was on 3G.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Scary thought. Just made me check my account :)

All good still... Whew!

Are you using 'Better Keyboard' App by any chance? It does warn you that keystrokes can be recorded while using the app.... just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm.... if you do get an answer from Google def let us know... or any answer for that matter.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it is. This is why I have a credit card with a low limit that I keep only for internet use and things like that. Just in case this scenario played out the damage would be minimal.

I'm really curious to find out what happened with your account.

OP
M

MonaCK

Reaction score
I think from now on, if we do purchase anything else, it'll be through paypal with a one-use credit card number. Funny - I thought because it was Google, it was safe. My bad, right? ;)

I'll keep you all updated. We're on the phone with Verizon now trying to get the appropriate contact information on who to talk to at Google.

chomorro

Reaction score
Curious I they actually took your information from google or just randomly jacked a card account that happen to be yours. Keep us updated

OP
M

MonaCK

Reaction score
So far attempts to contact a human being at the android market have been unsuccessful. We might end up chalking this up to a one time situation, and will make sure to use disposable card means if we make any additional purchases from the market.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm makes me worry since I use Better Keyboard. Shame I only use it for the haptic feedback.

When I asked if that app was installed I was just trying to troubleshoot...

I have nor have heard no evidence that Better Keyboard maliciously uses stored keystrokes... or even that they are stored... I was merely pointing out what the 'warning' says when enabling the app itself.

Just wanted to be clear :)

OMEGA5

Reaction score
wow, that is scary, made me look at mine, but then I realized I am poor so the joke would be on them!

Breezer23

Reaction score
Martin, I'm not worried as much about that. I just wouldn't mind the app space and that the Droid should have the option to vibrate when typing.

Prodigy4

Reaction score
So far attempts to contact a human being at the android market have been unsuccessful. We might end up chalking this up to a one time situation, and will make sure to use disposable card means if we make any additional purchases from the market.

yea but at the same time, you don't want this to happen on your disposable one...this is really scary to think about because i'm switching soon to a droid.