Problem with GolfCard application staying on app during screen off time

wesclark

Reaction score
I love GolfCard, and used it on my MotoDroid, which was stolen, and now I have the Incredible, which is superior is almost every respect. GolfCard is a wonderful, inexpensive golf range finder app that replaces a SkyCaddie. The problem is that when using the app on the golf course, I press the power button to darken the display after using it. I press it again to turn the display back on when I'm ready to use it again. Instead of staying on the GolfCard application screen, it now shows me the home screen. I have to reenter the app (using the home key long press), but then it is six or seven gestures and some scrolling to the right to get back to the hole I'm on. All I want is for the app to be where I left it when I turn the display back on. There appears to be either a timeout that puts it back on the home screen, or an event that puts it back on the home screen. Does anyone know how I make it stay focused on the application I am using when I turn off the display for a few minutes?

OP
W

wesclark

Reaction score
Same issue with SkyDroid

I sent an email to the SkyDroid developer, saying, "I just switched from GolfCard to SkyDroid on my new HTC Incredible Droid. I have a problem I suspect is related to the Incredible. I turn off the display after getting a distance to conserve battery. When I turn the display back on if it has been more than a few minutes, the phone is showing the home screen, not the app. When I got back into the app, it is from the "Front" of the application, and need to navigate through the app to the hold I'm playing. Very aggravating. Any suggestions? Did you know about this problem? Is it something you can fix, or tell me how to configure something to keep it from happening?"

joggy

Reaction score
While I certainly have no advice to offer for your problem with the apps seemingly closing on the HTC, I had to thank you for bringing my attention to GolfCard.

I had been looking for a complete golf app and this looks like it may be a winner. It seems most courses in my area are mapped which is something I haven't been able to find in a golf app.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
While I certainly have no advice to offer for your problem with the apps seemingly closing on the HTC, I had to thank you for bringing my attention to GolfCard.

I had been looking for a complete golf app and this looks like it may be a winner. It seems most courses in my area are mapped which is something I haven't been able to find in a golf app.

Thanks for the heads up.

GolfCard is the absolute best! One thing though, make sure that the courses that you are looking at are actually mapped. While it may be listed, it may not be actually mapped. Mapping courses is extremely easy, btw!

MOTODROID JON

Reaction score
I use Skydroid. Seems pretty darn good. I was looking more for the distance to the green feature... also you have the option to map any course yourself so you can add any hazard or safe zone you want.

Retire36

Reaction score
Just used Skydroid yesterday and it worked great. Plenty of battery left after 18. I do darken the screen after each reading.

A few weeks ago I played a course using Skydroid and my Skycaddie and the Skydroid was about 10 yards off. I emailed Skydroid and the fixed it within about 12 hours. How's that for a free golf GPS. It was right on the next time I played.