Power Button broken. Factory reset from PC?

stevebo

Reaction score
My Motorola Droid Razr Maxx has a broken power button. I've tried to reset using Power Button & Volume Up, Power Button & Volume Down, Power Button & Volume Up & Volume Down ... all with no response whatsoever.

I figured I'd try to sell the unit and someone might buy in on eBay, but I want to factory reset it first, which I can't do if the unit won't power up.

Is it possible to power it up / factory reset it from my PC using the USB cable?

Many thanks,
Steve

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I think you have to have developer options with USB debugging enabled to do a reset from ADB. You can give it a try, but it has to be in fastboot mode.

OP
S

stevebo

Reaction score
Hi grenefroggie,

Many thanks for the reply!

While I may have USB debugging enabled because I use PDANet, I'm pretty sure the phone is not in fastboot mode.

The real question I have is that if I sell this unit on eBay (there seems to be a market for broken Razr Maxx phones) and I pull the Sim Card and Memory Card, will anyone be able to read my sensitive personal information?

Thanks,
Steve

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
You may need the Motorola fastoot, called mfastboot. Then connect your phone to your pc, open command prompt & type "adb reboot bootloader". That should get you into the bootloader. Then type "fastboot -w" (or mfastboot -w), depending on what you'll need. That'll wipe the user data/cache.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
What ^^ said!