Power Anomoly on Droid

rickdell

Reaction score
This is the second time I have experience a similar "event".

Taking the droid out of the desktop charger (with display on night mode) in showed a full charge. After a minute or two, checking txt msgs, I get a battery warning message that the power is down to 5% and the status light start to flash red. Finish reading a txt and plug in to a separate direct power supply and the indication is at 60% with full charge withing 10 minutes. The battery useage showed 85%,display, and the next minimal amount was cell waiting after the charge was complete. After the initial issue I often shut down the screen in the desktop charger, but the display is seductive.

Should I consider a routine reboot on the Droid? I am considering a backup battery, are there any extended batteries that will not void the warantee or hurt my "little friend"?

serveitup911

Reaction score
I just had a very similar issue. I noticed the flashing red light and 5% battery remaining, and thought my battery should be fine. I quickly plugged the phone into my charger, and the battery indicated 50%, like I thought it should.

Just this morning, it happened to my dad. He had the phone charging overnight and noticed the red light flashing this morning. He took the phone off the charger, and the battery showed 5%. He put the phone back on the charger, and the display changed to fully charged.

Weird stuff...

bbtkd

Reaction score
This is the second time I have experience a similar "event".

Taking the droid out of the desktop charger (with display on night mode) in showed a full charge. After a minute or two, checking txt msgs, I get a battery warning message that the power is down to 5% and the status light start to flash red. Finish reading a txt and plug in to a separate direct power supply and the indication is at 60% with full charge withing 10 minutes. The battery useage showed 85%,display, and the next minimal amount was cell waiting after the charge was complete. After the initial issue I often shut down the screen in the desktop charger, but the display is seductive.

Should I consider a routine reboot on the Droid? I am considering a backup battery, are there any extended batteries that will not void the warantee or hurt my "little friend"?

I have had this happen once since I got it almost three months ago.

OP
rickdell

rickdell

Reaction score
Should we reboot on a regular schedule? I can assume with the quick power rebound that I have seen it may be a false power indicator.

Hellllloo.. Droid programmers......

Thoughts??? OS??? Desktop Charger interface (UI?)?

bigthinker

Reaction score
I would just reboot or do a battery pull. If it persists, take it back to VZW and see what they say. Welcome to the forums Rickdell. :motdroidvert:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Weird because I looked at my Droid today after having it sit the usual 10 hours in front of me to check the power and it was 80%... I thought impossible since it's usually at 40% by then. I did a re-boot and a battery pull and it was still 80%.

No idea why.

theonlyrj2

Reaction score
Not in all cases, but sometimes desktops will sort of ignore usb
Charging devices, especially if the cpu goes into hibernate mode
And it won't give sufficient charge for the battery. I've seen it
Happen with ipods and some cheaper digi cams it sometimes
Can have to do with how the power save mode is set up on cpu.
This may not be the problem but its worth you guys trying
If its that big of a problem.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you guys even attempt to use the search function on this forum. This has been discussed over and over.

The USB port on your computer does not have enough juice to properly charge the Droid. The wall charger is what you are supposed to use.