Possible bug?

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
The reason most of us use both, is because they do different things. When flashing a new ROM, using TiBu to restore apps has a lot of benefits vs. letting the market reload you apps because:

1. It's much faster
  2. You get your app settings and data back (particularly important for Angry Birds addicts ;) )
  3. System settings, like WiFi passwords, are also restored

I'll add one other BIG reason I use TiBu rather than letting the Market auto-restore -- "Force to same location." Assuming that option is checked in TiBu preferences, my apps all restore to the same location (SD card or internal, as applicable) as I had them when I did the TiBu backup. Market restore does them probably 90% or more internal, and I have so many apps that I get low storage errors and all kinds of FCs and things because I don't have any memory resources left. And if that's not bad enough, then I have to move the apps, one-by-one, to SD. So it's always TiBu restore for me!

OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Reaction score
The issue I was having with CW and ROM Manager was that it erased my recovery. What I did was. Downlaod Install Rom Manager + Premium. I had SPR. So I went to install the new CW through ROM Manager and it a few seconds into it. I would get a non responsive message. So I hit wait and then a few more seconds a message would pop up saying it was complete. Something didnt seem right so I went to boot into recovery and I would get stuck at the M boot logo. Same thing happened when I went to revert back to SPR.

GirLuvsDroid

Reaction score
The issue I was having with CW and ROM Manager was that it erased my recovery. What I did was. Downlaod Install Rom Manager + Premium. I had SPR. So I went to install the new CW through ROM Manager and it a few seconds into it. I would get a non responsive message. So I hit wait and then a few more seconds a message would pop up saying it was complete. Something didnt seem right so I went to boot into recovery and I would get stuck at the M boot logo. Same thing happened when I went to revert back to SPR.

This is a pretty common Froyo bug with flashing recoveries. Try flashing SPR/then ClockworkMod recovery again. If CW flashes fast, it probably flashed corrrectly. Also, I've found that CW version 2.0.2.4 works much more reliably than the latest version 2.5.0.1. You can find that at the botton of the menu list, under All ClockworkMod Recoveries.

OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Reaction score
Alright. Ill give it a shot. Thanks for the fast reply. :)

OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Reaction score
Just to let everyone that helped me know, all worked out good. Except I'm still getting use to TiBu.

orihc

Reaction score
Dunno if this is off topic but I currently flashed a rom and I was trying to make a backup on SPR and its been freezing on me. I have tried multiple times today already and it will freeze on dumping.tar
My question is,
1. would it be better using cw to make a nandroid backup? Or is it simply the new rom giving me the problem?
2. what happens to all my nandroid backups in SPR? can i still use them?
3. Once i switch to CW will it be CW recovery from then on?
4. Can I backup in CW, reflash to nandroid? (if thats even possible) and restore into another of my backups and flash CW and backup with CW? (Dunno if this makes sense) Pretty much Im converting my 2 reliable backups to CW.
Thank you

EbE404

Reaction score
Dunno if this is off topic but I currently flashed a rom and I was trying to make a backup on SPR and its been freezing on me. I have tried multiple times today already and it will freeze on dumping.tar
My question is,
1. would it be better using cw to make a nandroid backup? Or is it simply the new rom giving me the problem?
2. what happens to all my nandroid backups in SPR? can i still use them?
3. Once i switch to CW will it be CW recovery from then on?
4. Can I backup in CW, reflash to nandroid? (if thats even possible) and restore into another of my backups and flash CW and backup with CW? (Dunno if this makes sense) Pretty much Im converting my 2 reliable backups to CW.
Thank you

I'm not sure what your history is with CWR and SPR and changing between them, but here is a thread with a similar issue and solution:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/84481-sprecovery-problems-2.html

To your questions:

1. Some differences in interfaces and options aside, one is not really "better" than the other. GLD mentioned having better success with CWR 2.0.2.4, but I'm personally using 2.5.0.1 and haven't had any issues. YMMV, and you can flash older versions of CWR from within ROM Manager.
2. CWR nandroids cannot be used with SPR and vice versa. However, they are still there and available, and you can always use ROM manager to flash between SPR and CWR.
3. See answer to #2.
4. I think what you mean is flash CWR, create a nandroid, then flash SPR and create another nandroid so you have one for each recovery. the answer is yes, and I do this when I do major updates, such as when I get a ROM totally functional with themes, apps and settings the way i want them and I get my current build and operating environment "finished" (for interim steps, I just create a single nandroid, typically using CWR. If, on the other hand, you mean restore from a nandroid using SPR, then flash CWR and make another nanroid in that, the answer is also yes.

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
Just to let everyone that helped me know, all worked out good. Except I'm still getting use to TiBu.

I just wanted to let you know GLD has been on me forever to use clockwork which I still have spr on my main droid because I was always afraid of losing recovery since I'm always flashing.
On my other droid which I now test on I have cw and the options are significantly better and its much easier since you dont have to rename to update.zip.
Also raidzero has released a version of spr which was heavily modifed and you no longer have to rename to update.zip.....I have instructions on my webstie on how to flash a recovery with adb or terminal. which on version 4.1 the falsh_image tool is already included so its literally lik 2 or 3 commands. So if you ever do loase recovery you can always flash a recovery manually without having to sbf or go into rom manager and flash a bunch of times. I really can't say which is better although I love the cw options but sr has always been reliable for me but def a pain. Expecially since you can format all partitions with cw which is def the way to go if you don't know how to use adb.
Anyways glad you got the rom working timber.

Raidzeros recovery
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html

How to flash a recovery using abd or terminal:
http://www.moddedlogic.com/pe/howto.php#ri

Last edited: