Possible Brick? Please Help!

tab13092

Reaction score
Hey!
Im new to rooting, in the sense that i just rooted earlier today. I have a Droid Incredible which i just got last week and i decided to try and root it. The rooting went well, and i had rom manager and had a custom rom installed. I decided just incase something happened to my phone that i wanted to downgrade/unroot. This is where everything went sour. I used a tutorial which i found online. I placed a factory zip file on my sdcard and hboot'd my phone. It installed and everything went find on that aspect, then it asked me to reboot. I selected to do so, and my phone powered down. Then it never powered back on. Where i had to mod the usb on my windows laptop it wouldnt pick up my device all together, so now i have it pluged into my apple. I have battery pulled, plugged into the wall, into multiple computers runing windows and mac osx. Nothing. The most i can get from it is when i battery pull and place it back in, then plug it in the little charging light comes on and when i long hold the power button itll vibrate for a second or so and then the charge light goes off, and thats it. Is my phone bricked beyond repair? Is it fixable? Someone please help me, because i JUST used my annual upgrade to upgrade to the DI and by doing so it removed my insurance and i know flashing/rooting voids the warrentee. Ugh. If it isnt fixable then could anyone help me out in getting a new one.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
How was your battery charge prior to trying to unroot?

Sounds to me like your battery may be completely drained. Leave it on the wall charger for a few hours. Then see if it'll boot.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Good question! When you pull the battery and put back in and plug up the charger, you said the light comes on but, what does the screen do?

How was your battery charge prior to trying to unroot?

Sounds to me like your battery may be completely drained. Leave it on the wall charger for a few hours. Then see if it'll boot.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
T

tab13092

Reaction score
My battery was rather low, maybe 20 percent. Ill leave it pluged in. And the screen doesnt do anything when i try to boot it up. I plug it in to my apple, pull and replace the battery, and then the charge light comes on until i long hold the power button on for about 5 seconds, then it vibrates and just stays black yet when still plugged in the light doesnt light up anymore.

Also forgot to mention, my screen is blank/not lit up when the light comes on.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok. I'd take Yank's advice and leave it plugged up for a bit. Do the batter pull to get the light to come on and DON'T do anything, leave it sitting there. Watch the charging light though. Its a good idea to make sure you have at least 70% on your battery before flashing anything. Keep us posted!

DroidForums junkie!!

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Yeah, your battery is dead that's all. Don't freak, just leave it plugged in for a few hours and you'll be golden.

As a rule of thumb, I never flash anything with less than 60% battery.

Go chill, let 'er charge then enjoy your newly rooted DInc :)

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey!
Im new to rooting, in the sense that i just rooted earlier today. I have a Droid Incredible which i just got last week and i decided to try and root it. The rooting went well, and i had rom manager and had a custom rom installed. I decided just incase something happened to my phone that i wanted to downgrade/unroot. This is where everything went sour. I used a tutorial which i found online. I placed a factory zip file on my sdcard and hboot'd my phone. It installed and everything went find on that aspect, then it asked me to reboot. I selected to do so, and my phone powered down. Then it never powered back on. Where i had to mod the usb on my windows laptop it wouldnt pick up my device all together, so now i have it pluged into my apple. I have battery pulled, plugged into the wall, into multiple computers runing windows and mac osx. Nothing. The most i can get from it is when i battery pull and place it back in, then plug it in the little charging light comes on and when i long hold the power button itll vibrate for a second or so and then the charge light goes off, and thats it. Is my phone bricked beyond repair? Is it fixable? Someone please help me, because i JUST used my annual upgrade to upgrade to the DI and by doing so it removed my insurance and i know flashing/rooting voids the warrentee. Ugh. If it isnt fixable then could anyone help me out in getting a new one.

Post the link you used. I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts your an Slcd device and downgraded to 2.1.

OP
T

tab13092

Reaction score
Hey!

Post the link you used. I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts your an Slcd device and downgraded to 2.1.

Ugh. I think it is. And i think i did. And that means i bricked. Heres the link: [video=youtube;azwdpK400JA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azwdpK400JA&feature=player_embedded[/video]

I never thought to check the date or anything like that because i didnt think it would matter. Please tell me there's a way to fix this. I JUST got it : /

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ugh. I think it is. And i think i did. And that means i bricked. Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azwdpK400JA&feature=player_embedded

I never thought to check the date or anything like that because i didnt think it would matter. Please tell me there's a way to fix this. I JUST got it : /
Firstly, I am never wrong. :)

Secondly, easily fixable. You have 2 options here, flash the correct PB31IMG blindly cause you won't be able to see hboot or Install HTC sync and run the correct RUU. The later will only work on Windows PC's. Both ways with instructions are here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-hacks/95406-how-correctly-unroot-incredible.html

Don't worry about the s-on yet, just follow the PB31IMG or RUU.

This will wipe your device and you will need to reroot then follow the same guide to unroot correctly as you will still be s-off.

It is also the latest a greatest build from VZW.

OP
T

tab13092

Reaction score
Doug,
You are my hero. Period. I dont even know how to thank you. Which would be easier do you think? Im looking for the quickest/best fix.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Doug,
You are my hero. Period. I dont even know how to thank you. Which would be easier do you think? Im looking for the quickest/best fix.

Quicker is hboot blind, easier is RUU. If you do hboot get the renamed file on the sd card then boot into hboot. Wait about 2-3 mins and then press the Vol+ button. Then wait it out. Phone should come back to life quickly but needs to finish so wait until it asks you if you want to reboot.

RUU install htc sync then run the ruu. Make sure the phone is booted up though you can't see it then run it.

Battery needs a good charge and leave it plugged in during both processes.

OP
T

tab13092

Reaction score
Ugh. I think it is. And i think i did. And that means i bricked. Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azwdpK400JA&feature=player_embedded

Firstly, I am never wrong. :)

Secondly, easily fixable. You have 2 options here, flash the correct PB31IMG blindly cause you won't be able to see hboot or Install HTC sync and run the correct RUU. The later will only work on Windows PC's. Both ways with instructions are here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-hacks/95406-how-correctly-unroot-incredible.html

Don't worry about the s-on yet, just follow the PB31IMG or RUU.

This will wipe your device and you will need to reroot then follow the same guide to unroot correctly as you will still be s-off.

It is also the latest a greatest build from VZW.

Downloading the HTC Sync program and the froyo files seem'd much easier so i did that. The only thing is my computer wont detect my phone. Im using the same one that i had to mod the USB to phone drivers with in order to root in the first place, would that have anything to do with? Also, when i go under device manager my phone DOES appear but under android devices or something and it comes up as My HTC. Have i done anything wrong do i simply need to use a different computer to unroot the HTC Sync way?

OP
T

tab13092

Reaction score
Well now my computer automaticly detects the phone drivers and installs HTC Bootloader, is this good? My computer's device manage detects and reconizes the phone, but thats it. HTC Sync doesnt detect it and my phone storage/sd doesnt come up under my computer. Also when i run the froyo restore img file it does everything then says my pc cant detect my device, yet as mentioned before the device manager says its plugged in. Ugh, ive been working on this for nearly 6 or so hours. I just want my phone back to factory os img :(

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The RUU can be a pain. I would try the Hboot method. Make usre your SD card is formatted to fat32 and rename the file so it is PB31IMG. Put the file on the root of the SD. Not in any folders. Then boot into hboot and wait a few minutes then press the Vol+

OP
T

tab13092

Reaction score
The RUU can be a pain. I would try the Hboot method. Make usre your SD card is formatted to fat32 and rename the file so it is PB31IMG. Put the file on the root of the SD. Not in any folders. Then boot into hboot and wait a few minutes then press the Vol+

Ugh, this would be the one time where i cant find my sd card adaptor >.< Infact i havnt seen it/needed it in ages. Anyways, alls i have to do to get it to hboot blind is to put my microsd into the adapter, put it in my computer, (do i remove the old 2.1 boot files?), reformat to FAT32, put the new boot img and then just hboot? doesnt sound all to hard. Looks like ill have to go out and by an adapter in abit : / But itll be handy to have and if it means fixing my phone then id rather pay for that then pay for a new phone!
Thanks for being patient with me and for all of your help. Ill post here again if i still cant get it to work, or to let you know if i did get it to hboot ok!
Thanks a million!!