Possible battery life extension test

perfoliate

Reaction score
I've commented about this in a couple of threads but didn't get much of a response so I figured I'd start a new thread to test this out. I'm currently running Adrynylne's Basic debloat rom with the latest .9 kernel. Over the past week I've seemed to have on again off again good battery life to bad battery life like most other folks. Yesterday I was having one of those bad battery day's where my phone just seemed to drain constantly even while I wasn't using it. Like where you can just watch the percentages fall off a percent a minute. It just seemed like the cpu was running full clocked even while I wasn't doing anything with the screen off.

I'm not one of those types that wants to turn all functionality off just to improve battery life, so just for the heck of it I setup a profile in Setcpu to keep the max cpu speed at 245 just while the screen was off. Immediately my battery stopped dropping off. I finished the rest of the day barely losing any. Today I've been running it moderately all day. As of right now I've been off the charger for 15 hours 39 minutes, with 1 hour and 36 minutes of display time on and 45 minutes worth of calls. I'm still sitting here with 53% battery life thinking at this rate I could get another day out of it.

What I'm hoping for is that maybe a few of you would like to setup a setcpu screen off profile of min 245 max 245 and try and duplicate my results. Obviously you would need to be rooted to run this.

Anyway this might be a big help to some of those that are suffering with bad battery drain, if this works across the board. Maybe HTC is running some kind of process in the background or something that clocks the processor up. Or who knows maybe it's just me. lol

By the way I absolutely love this phone more and more each day and if my battery life continues like this I'll be totally satisfied. Thanks to all the devs, and thanks to all of you for your many useful contributions I've encountered here over the past year. Happy Androiding. dancedroid

Note: Remember this test is mainly setup to improve standby time while the screen is off, it won't improve your battery life if you are playing with your phone all day ;).

It may be helpful for those who are reading this thread to list a few details about what setup your running while using this tweak like,

SetCPU Profiles:
Rooted (Y/N):
Rom/kernel:
Screen Brightness setting:
3G/4G area:
Time off charger:
Noticeable improvement yes/no:

Edit: Screenshot is from the next morning after leaving it off charger for over a day. I only lost 6% overnight. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it's an interesting proposition, though I'm not sure I could run the phone that low. The converse point of this post being that I'm not sure how much overclocking will occur with the TB until some of the devs try and improve battery life first. What would be the point of running at 1.4-1.8 if you could only have an hour of battery life???

DroidStang

Reaction score
I'm not heavy into these HTC's yet, but I read about the task killer apps drainig battery so I unistalled to see how battery does.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's an interesting proposition, though I'm not sure I could run the phone that low. The converse point of this post being that I'm not sure how much overclocking will occur with the TB until some of the devs try and improve battery life first. What would be the point of running at 1.4-1.8 if you could only have an hour of battery life???

I think he means setting it that low for when the phone is on standby with the screen off. I've been doing this ever since I rooted it on Sunday and it does seem to do the trick on saving battery while the phone is off. I tried underclocking the phone today at 764mhz with heavy use to see if it would help but I think the savings is marginal since my screen uses up a lot of power.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

cnmsales

Reaction score
Already done this as well. No reason for it not to be at its lowest when the screen is off.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bah turns out I was running in performance mode the whole time when running at 764mhz. Now that I changed it to ondemand it seems like its giving a lot better battery.

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score

I think he means setting it that low for when the phone is on standby with the screen off. I've been doing this ever since I rooted it on Sunday and it does seem to do the trick on saving battery while the phone is off. I tried underclocking the phone today at 764mhz with heavy use to see if it would help but I think the savings is marginal since my screen uses up a lot of power.

Yes I mean just setting up a profile so its to the lowest slot only when screen is off. When screen is on phone runs at full speed.

OP
P

perfoliate

Reaction score
update: I decided to not put my phone on the charger last night. This morning when I woke up battery life is at 47% remaining with a day since unplugged. This is going better than expected.

View attachment 30074

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
update: I decided to not put my phone on the charger last night. This morning when I woke up battery life is at 47% remaining with a day since unplugged. This is going better than expected.

View attachment 30074

Nice! I wish HTC would release their source so revs can get kernels out. It'd be great to undervolt 1ghz and have battery savings as if running at a lower clockspeed.

funkyb

Reaction score

View attachment 30074

Nice! I wish HTC would release their source so revs can get kernels out. It'd be great to undervolt 1ghz and have battery savings as if running at a lower clockspeed.

Sounds like they also need to drop the multiplier like Op said when phone is idle. That should be in stock!