Pop mail freeze

dbenkle

Reaction score
It seems that almost everytime I go to read my pop3 mail, after a couple of emails, the Droid will just freeze as if it is trying to download a large file. It never completes the task and even if i delete the email, it comes right back as an unread one. The best fix so far is actuall re-booting the phone. Does anyone else have a consistent problem with Driod freezing with wmail? I have tried the usual things such as task killing all apps.
Thanks

mcdroid

Reaction score
I have the same problem, I also have to reboot, hopefully an update fixes this.:)

Medic-12

Reaction score
I have same problem. Droid locks up when trying to open pop-3 email. I have looked everywhere on the web and cant find any solutions.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Erm, pleas write me what providers you have. Because the only reason i can imagine is tu pull limit.

Explenation:
Most emailproviders allow POP pull only 1 time in like 3 minutes. if you go over that rate, you cant. So, the DROID, if you open a pop acc, pulls new mails. So if it did that just a secound before, and then you open the account, it tries to times within the time limit.

But that should NOT lead to a COMPLETE Freeze, only to a freeze of the mailapp

Medic-12

Reaction score
RinTin, The rest of the phone doesn't shut down or freeze. The email doesn't even fully crash. It only seems to lock up when i open up any email with html or ones that are text but have an attachment. When i go to open one, it opens to a "thinking" wheel that isnt moving and says "loading" over the top of it. The email server is through go-daddy, but i have never had this issue come up at all on my blackberry. it was just painfully slow.

Medic-12

Reaction score
Mostly 3g, but it happens in 2g zones as well. Its bizarre. Surfing the web and all other internet dependent programs run well and fast, it just this one issue.

Medic-12

Reaction score
Yea its weird. I don't know if i have some sort of html bandwidth setting somewhere that isn't letting certain stuff through or what is causing html emails not to load and freeze. well thank you for lending me your brain, cuz mine sure wasn't firing well on this one. If you come across a fix, let me know.

THx

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical pop3 issue with a large file. This used to happen all the time on dial up cust's ... :)

The reason you get it "Again" is because the mail client doesn't get a change to tell your pop server that it completed parsing and DL of the mail. Mail on pop accounts is stored on the server in one large text file, which must be broken down (parsed) and sent to the remote client. If that gets interrupted, and the pop3 server doesnt get that message, you'll re-download the first emails again, up to the point where it locks.

If you suspect that this is the case, other than how the signal is on the connection affecting speed of the download, I would advise opening a browser and going to your account via a web based client to see if indeed you have someone throwing something large at you, you can delete it by web based client, then go back and refresh your mail in "email".

To be honest, and I'm not sure if you can do it in go daddy (I can with windows live mail and my oen domain email) why not go for a IMAP setup?

By using IMAP it is the next best thing to using a web based client, you manipulate the email on the server, may improve your performance.

By using IMAP on my personal email, I can leave what I want to DL to my computer for later, yet read and respond to email as it arrives.

Just something for you to play with.

watsoncj

Reaction score
Did you come up with a solution. I will receive several emails and then at some point it stops receiving them. I have 4 email accounts set up on the phone, gmail, a comcast.net account, a verizon.net account and a bluehost account. The all stop receiving mail and a reboot then retreives all the mail from all servers. Very annoying as I don't know when I am missing mail unless I check it and get the loading wheel of death. Any thoughts?

pseyler

Reaction score
I have a similar problem, with just 1 POP3 account. The native email client will hang, and only a reboot will unlock. I was able to use another phone with this pop3 server and didn't have this problem.

Several other problems:
  • if I delete an email in the native client, it will often (not always) be re-received. There doesn't appear to be any consistent pattern to when these reappearances happen.
  • Marking a message as READ is unreliable - it will often (not always) be re-flagged as unread.
  • the new mail notification continues to go off every 5 minutes if there are ANY unread emails in the inbox. This is very annoying in the middle of the night. I've changed the ringtones so I can clearly tell which app is origininating the notification.
I'm pretty frustrated with the POP3 client. Is there a forum where we can communicate with the developers and potentially get a response. Alternatively, is there a way to REMOVE the bloody thing, so we can get a better client without redundant activity.

Tim K

Reaction score
I have a similar problem, with just 1 POP3 account. The native email client will hang, and only a reboot will unlock. I was able to use another phone with this pop3 server and didn't have this problem.

Several other problems:
  • if I delete an email in the native client, it will often (not always) be re-received. There doesn't appear to be any consistent pattern to when these reappearances happen.
  • Marking a message as READ is unreliable - it will often (not always) be re-flagged as unread.
  • the new mail notification continues to go off every 5 minutes if there are ANY unread emails in the inbox. This is very annoying in the middle of the night. I've changed the ringtones so I can clearly tell which app is origininating the notification.
I'm pretty frustrated with the POP3 client. Is there a forum where we can communicate with the developers and potentially get a response. Alternatively, is there a way to REMOVE the bloody thing, so we can get a better client without redundant activity.

I have had a lot of problems with my work email coming through. It is a yahoo business account and I know Android has issues with POP access to yahoo for some reason.

Anyway, here are some things I discovered.

1. "Read mail" - With attachments, in order to have an email show up as read, you must actually open the email and allow it to load onscreen. You cannot "mark as read" from the inbox. The next time the phone checks the POP3 account it will show up unread if you don't actually "read" it.

2. "Deleted mail reappearing" - Again, with attachments you must actually open the email (not the attachment) and let the email load onscreen. If you try to hit delete from the inbox or before letting the email open and load onscreen it will reappear next time your phone checks POP3.

Attachments WILL take a long time to load regardless of how large the file is. Don't know why.

3. "POP3 email hangs" - I found that WiFi causes problems with the email app pulling POP3 email. If I am at home with WiFi turned on my POP3 mail will hang (the circle that shows loading will spin indefinitely) and will sometimes even say something like "connection failed" etc. If I turn off Wifi and refresh my email it will download mail properly from POP3.

Hope this helps....