Pop email needs 3g to work??

tstall

Reaction score
I have had a Motorola Droid Bionic for almost 2 weeks now - have about 4 more days before I decide whether I want to return it for a different droid model. I need it to be able to download emails wherever I am. I live in the country and usually only get 1-3 bars of 1x signal, although sometimes it switches over to 3g. My old Blackberry storm was fine with this, never a problem accessing email. But my new phone needs a 3g signal to work at all on email, which perplexes me.

Is this normal?

I know there is a fix the manufacturer is working on for email issues. If this is to fix this problem, amongst others, I'll stick out and keep this phone. If this fix is not in teh works, I'd rather get another phone.

Thanks,
Trisha Stall

OP
T

tstall

Reaction score
mine works on wifi too, but when I leave home and go down the road I lose email functionality as soon as I get away from my wireless server.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
POP3 should work fine on 1X, just much slower.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
T

tstall

Reaction score
Plus, gmail (which I don't use, but have set up on phone) won't update/check mail without a 3g signal. This can't be right? Anyone have this problem besides me, or is this a problem with my phone that I have to go to Verizon store to get them to fix or issue me a new phone?

No matter how many bars I have on 1x email says "no data connection".

OP
T

tstall

Reaction score
Any ideas out there? Need to know if it's my phone or normal; if it's normal I'll live with it, if it's not I need to go to Verizon store to exchange my phone....

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any ideas out there? Need to know if it's my phone or normal; if it's normal I'll live with it, if it's not I need to go to Verizon store to exchange my phone....

It doesn't sound normal, but that may be how the new 4G generation technology operates.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Here's what I suggest as a first step any time you are having any problems with Gmail: settings/applications/manage applications/all/gmail/clear data. That solves a lot of issues, but I've never encountered you exact issue. Good luck.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
OP, your issue is not normal. I don't have help for you, but my Bionic does Pop3 and Gmail on wifi, 4g, 3g, and 1x. Call VZW first. If they can't help, go to the store and get a replacement

OP
T

tstall

Reaction score
Thanks!

Oh, man, I figured out what was wrong this afternoon. I thought I had a 1x signal all this time, I guess it was just a roaming (nothing to the left of the 1-3 bars). I just got a network extender in the mail today, and hooked up tonight, and when I turned WiFi off in its place it showed 3g; it was then that I realized that the WiFi antenna signal was covering up the space where 1x/3g/4g would go, and I just assumed I was in network when I wasn't.

BTW, the network extender is awesome - now I have 3G and 4 bars most of the time. Every once in awhile it drops out, but I always have wifi to go back to. Yes, I'll still have spotty email when on the road, but I'm finding that more often than not a 3g pops in and out as I drive so I can at least sporadically get email!

OP, your issue is not normal. I don't have help for you, but my Bionic does Pop3 and Gmail on wifi, 4g, 3g, and 1x. Call VZW first. If they can't help, go to the store and get a replacement