Pocket Universe for the Droid?

DuvalM

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the developer for Pocket Universe: Virtual Sky Astronomy that works on the I-Phone is being developing it to work on the Motorola Droid? I had the opportunity to see it used recently and it is a wonderful app.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Will Google Sky fit the bill?

chart

Google Sky Map v1.3 Application for Android | Reference

CraicDesign

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the developer for Pocket Universe: Virtual Sky Astronomy that works on the I-Phone is being developing it to work on the Motorola Droid? I had the opportunity to see it used recently and it is a wonderful app.

Thanks for your interest!

It's is something I am considering: sadly my company consists only of me, so my resources are limited. But I have an Android device for development..

john

CatsTide

Reaction score

It's is something I am considering: sadly my company consists only of me, so my resources are limited. But I have an Android device for development..

john
how does it differ from google sky?

CraicDesign

Reaction score

john

It displays a lot more information. But to be honest the fact that Google came out with their own free version of Pocket Universe doesn't encourage me to spend time porting..

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

john

It displays a lot more information. But to be honest the fact that Google came out with their own free version of Pocket Universe doesn't encourage me to spend time porting..

Hey man you never know.....if you could make it a lot better than Google Sky with more features, and make it not that expensive, I guarantee it would do good

CraicDesign

Reaction score

Hey man you never know.....if you could make it a lot better than Google Sky with more features, and make it not that expensive, I guarantee it would do good

Well there is the thing, you can't actually guarantee it :) or I would hire an Android dev to help out.

But it's still on my list of things to do, and I'm tinkering with Android dev work, so it will happen at some point, I'm pretty confident.

ChefZiggy

Reaction score
Not being familiar with any iPhone apps, will Pocket Universe show sunrise/sunset locations? Been thinking that would be a nice app for photographers. Being able to predict where the sun will rise/set on any given day, preferably as an overlay over the location would be sweet.

OP
D

DuvalM

Reaction score
Pocket Universe Droid development

John, thanks for responding. I see your hesitancy about going against Google, but I think your current app is superior and the price is very reasonable. Hope you find the time and initiative.

MontyMo

Reaction score

john

Here is another person saying I'd like to see your app on my Droid....

Monty

CraicDesign

Reaction score
Not being familiar with any iPhone apps, will Pocket Universe show sunrise/sunset locations? Been thinking that would be a nice app for photographers. Being able to predict where the sun will rise/set on any given day, preferably as an overlay over the location would be sweet.

Well all the math is there, but you are describing a completely different app - which isn't a bad idea at all! Thanks for that..

(The sun rises for almost everywhere, BTW ;-)

ChefZiggy

Reaction score

Well all the math is there, but you are describing a completely different app - which isn't a bad idea at all! Thanks for that..

(The sun rises for almost everywhere, BTW ;-)

Glad you like it. My thoughts were if I were driving along and saw a scene I liked and wanted to know when would be the best time to shoot there next Saturday, I could whip out my Droid, fire up SunDial(TM) and it would show me a live view with the sun overlayed x hours and minutes from sunrise/sunset on Y date. Maybe use the volume up and down keys to move back and forth in time.

Never miss another sunset or golden hours again! I'd buy it.

cyber3dx

Reaction score
I also hope you port this app to the Droid. There is no real competition for an app like yours. We have IK PEGASI and GOOGLE SKY that's about it. But, neither can claim to be a true enthusiasts app. Unlike your app which certainly is.

You would be ahead of the game (at the right time IMO) and perhaps it is the right time for Droid apps to be taken seriously. We are at the point where paying for apps is not adverse. In fact $5.99 apps are all over my phone in particular.

As of today you have 322 reviews and 2,456 ratings on the iTunes app Store. At $2.99.

I think it is worth porting over and being on the first wave of serious apps for the Droid.