Please help me understand storage partitioning and internal vs external SD

B

Bakerboy448

Unless the dynamics of memory has changed on me from what I know:

/data /system /cache and so forth are your internal memory partitions
/sdcard is your removable SD card
/sd-ext is your (2/3/4)EXT linux partition if you partitioned your SD card (since android cannot move your apps to a FAT/FAT32 partition as you have no linux style permissions on a FAT partition.

In which case sd-ext is on the same removable SD card, the main difference is you cannot normally access it from a windows or mac since that partition type is normally left unmounted on a computer.

Wrong
On the Droid RAZR
/sdcard is the INTERNAL NONREMOVABLE SD card
/sdcard-ext is the EXTERNAL REMOVABLE SD Card

kbeezie

Reaction score
Wrong
On the Droid RAZR
/sdcard is the INTERNAL NONREMOVABLE SD card
/sdcard-ext is the EXTERNAL REMOVABLE SD Card

Well that's just confusing (well... I guess the previous would be more confusing if you looked at it as -ext as external, to a new user).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
kbeezie said:
Well that's just confusing (well... I guess the previous would be more confusing if you looked at it as -ext as external, to a new user).

Yeah, it can be confusing. But that is how the Razr's identify the difference between the internal and external (removable) sd cards in file explorer apps. But if you use the Razr's "My Files" app it uses "Internal Phone Storage" for the internal card and "SD Card" to identity the external card. And then on your pc, it is different yet. Sort of crazy, huh?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums