can someone get this working on the us version please

R1Lover

Reaction score
From what I understand it's an apple thing only so we can't have it lol

OP
D

dcypher

Reaction score
I'm sure someone can get it working this is the hack forum plus its already on the milestone so maybe they can port there browser

pcm2a

Reaction score
I'm thinking it will be easy breezy to move those apps over from the Milestone to ours. The problem will be waiting for someone to figure out how to root our phone. How many months did it take for the Sprint Hero to be rooted?

xndzizz

Reaction score
I'm thinking it will be easy breezy to move those apps over from the Milestone to ours. The problem will be waiting for someone to figure out how to root our phone. How many months did it take for the Sprint Hero to be rooted?

Sprint Hero has not yet been rooted. But Verizon has a much bigger user base already for Android phones and I expect to see the Droid's rooted in no time

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It's not an apple thing, it has NOTHING to do with apple for that fact. The Palm PRE has it, so there goes the argument it's an apple only thing. The EU version has it in there, though the EU version has slightly different backend programming to it, as you can already tell. The phone has the ability to use multitouch, and 3-rd party apps are already starting to take advantage of it. There has been no word as of yet from anyone official about putting native multi-touch into the OS. I am hoping they get this all worked out and add it for the next patch that's apparently coming out around december 11th.

xndzizz

Reaction score

It's not an apple thing, it has NOTHING to do with apple for that fact. The Palm PRE has it, so there goes the argument it's an apple only thing. The EU version has it in there, though the EU version has slightly different backend programming to it, as you can already tell. The phone has the ability to use multitouch, and 3-rd party apps are already starting to take advantage of it. There has been no word as of yet from anyone official about putting native multi-touch into the OS. I am hoping they get this all worked out and add it for the next patch that's apparently coming out around december 11th.

You are wrong. It has quite a bit to do with Apple.

Details can be found here

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't care what that article says. I've already read many articles to say the same thing for the other side. Most articles say that apple doesn't hold a patent for multi-touch. Seeing as the articles that said that looked through all the patents apple holds for the iphone and multi-touch is not listed in them.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I don't care what that article says. I've already read many articles to say the same thing for the other side. Most articles say that apple doesn't hold a patent for multi-touch. Seeing as the articles that said that looked through all the patents apple holds for the iphone and multi-touch is not listed in them.

Try actually reading it next time... here is the important part.

Blustering about lawsuits aside, Apple suing Palm (or vice versa) brings mutually assured patent destruction down on the both of them. While Apple is arguably filthy rich and Palm pauper poor, they might not want the expense or the hassle given Palm’s current market position. Verizon and Google, however, is another matter, especially since Google has been in the mobile space nowhere near as long as Palm, and likely doesn’t have the same type of core mobile patent portfolio in their pocket to assure the same type of stalemate.
At the end of the day, only the top executives (and their lawyers) at Apple, Google, and Palm know for sure, but that’s our guess.

NBAJWill55

Reaction score
Engadget wrote a nice op-ed about the status of multi-touch on the Droid, stating that they were unable to find any patents that were filed regarding multi-touch on the browser. This led them to think it wasn't a patent issue, but more of an "unspoken agreement" between google and apple.
Very lame, but we all have to move on.

However, being "open source", is it really that hard to get the Milestone's browser capabilities on the Droid?

(PS - being new, i dont have 10+ posts so i can't paste the link, but you can find the above mentioned article via Engadget)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even if they did, apple pretty much took 10 things from nokia saying F U, and are now being sued by it. If i were nokia i'd have an injunction against apple for every piece of hardware that has that in them, which is EVERY iphone and ipod touch. Seems as though apple is caught again, always out to get other people for doing wrong against them, but in my experience never has a problem with doing wrong against others.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
its not apple

cause palm pre has it too

While the palm has it, apple does hold a certain patent for multi-touch, but most are saying it's not one that would ever hold up in court, and that is the reason they left palm alone.

Some people have reported that it seemed alot more like a mutual understanding. I'm sure google is getting something out of it in return, if that's the case.