Physical Modifications?

octovir

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just clumsy, but I tend to accidentally hit buttons/keys unintentionally, or am not quick enough in pressing the sleep button..

Has anyone considered or been successful in increasing the resistance of the buttons or adding to them to make them more accessible, or modding/replacing the keyboard with something less "flat"?

alf

Reaction score
I know what you mean they should have thought the button layout a little better. I was always hitting mine, until i put one of thoes plastic protector cases on it. A added bonus now the buttons are recessed just enough, that now it's not a problem. 3 bucks at bargaincell.com

shawndream

Reaction score
I'd REALLY love info on the feasability of replacing the physical keyboard.

I prefer fewer moving parts, but the droid has the best hardware currently (and the nexus is still very unknown).

It seems a crying shame that for the cost of the slider, you only get a flat rubbery sheet without much better tactile feedback than a virtual keyboard.

Would it be possible to replace that sheet with something a little more rounded?

I looked at the teardown pics here:
phoneWreck Motorola Droid Teardown Images!

But they don't cover the keyboard well at all.

catfishk

Reaction score
there is a keymap file in the /etc folder of the Droid, that maps the buttons. you can really change them to whatever/wherever you want or disable them

but don't, yet, until you know how to revert to stock, just in case. i couldn't tell you which button is which, only that the file is present

wil318466

Reaction score
there is a keymap file in the /etc folder of the Droid, that maps the buttons. you can really change them to whatever/wherever you want or disable them

but don't, yet, until you know how to revert to stock, just in case. i couldn't tell you which button is which, only that the file is present

Thats very interesting. You know, changing the camera and volume rocker to turn on/off the screen is nice through screen mode widget (I believe). I think an improvement would be to be able to turn the screen OFF with all these buttons too. Then, if need be a long press could use the original function of these buttons. I dunno, maybe just a personal preference.

Once we have some more time with root and everything else to develop I'm sure many things will be even more customizable.

-Wil

bots

Reaction score
OK so you want to know if you can replace the physical keyboard? Am I reading this correctly? If so, I guess I'll be the first to answer your question - No, you cannot replace the physical keyboard.

Liteoni

Reaction score

I'm curious about this keymap file. Is it possible to modify this file also in Milestone? Have someone modified it succesfully in either one, Droid or Milestone?

I'd like to have scandic keys mapped in my future Milestone. That's why I'm asking...