Photos out through HDMI are SMALL!!!

OP
S

skydivewags

Reaction score
Edited, I need to not do 5 things at once on my PC, got confused, and thought I was being questioned on something stupid.

My bad, wont happen again.

Wags

Last edited:

Tower101

Reaction score
I love how some of these people say the photos look great on their TV, that's not the point, the point is using all the screen real-estate. 1080P HDTV=2MP, camera resolution=8MP. Plenty of pixels to fill the screen.

Tower, do you use blue tooth to the ps3? How do you connect to display the photos? This would be the ticket for me at least at home.

Wags

Use media share on the phone and the phone then comes up on the PS3 under photos, music and videos. For some reason I have yet to figure out the vids don't always come up.

Vids you recored will not come up because they are in .3gp mobile video form. If you convert a video though lets say a movie to play on your phone, you will be able to share that with the ps3.

Well that explains why it says "unsupported format", is there an easy way to convert them so they can play on the ps3?

jloya

Reaction score
has anyone tried viewing it through the app available in the market "Real HDMI"???

GmanApps

Reaction score
has anyone tried viewing it through the app available in the market "Real HDMI"???

My app wont make a difference. The issue is that android (2.1/2.2) doesnt really have support for multiple displays and display switching. When hdmi is enabled the application manager of the phone still believes it has a 854x480 canvas. The hdmi controller just centers content in the screen. It doesnt know its screen size is bigger and nothing in api is able to change that.

When an app goes to render a bitmap image its only able to render a bitmap out to the max resolution of its parent application manager. So while tv is 1280x720 the application is bound by android to 854x480 by the os not knowing screen is bigger. This bitmap layer is the gfx layer in the omap3 processor.

The video layer/accelerated layer which is used for video isnt contrained as tightly by the application manager as that layer exits behind the gfx layer and isnt tied to the application manager. The omap3 gpu in the droidx has hardware scalers that will scale video up to the full tv resolution. Which is why video will go full screen when bitmaps will normally not. There is no hardware scaler for the gfx/bitmap layer in the omap3 cpu.

So when you view a 1280x720 video its piped through either the vid1 or vid2 overlay processors in the phone. The overlay processors exist at a layer much lower then the application manager so all it cares about Is rendering content at full size of physical display. It doesnt care what resolution androids application manager thinks the display is.

So what does all that dev/geek speak mean?

The short version is that jpegs look small on tv, but videos look fine due to a combination of android os and hardware capabilities.

Am working on a gallery type application to pair with real hdmi to use full 1280x720 for jpeg display but at this point its a proof of concept.

Sent from my DROIDX