Phonebook Download Issue with Honda Odyssey

badger98

Reaction score
We picked up a 2011 Honda Odyssey last night, and on the way home, I paired my wife's Incredible with the vehicle's bluetooth phone integration system. It indicated that the phonebook was being downloaded to the car, but later showed no contacts in the list. I haven't had a chance to play with it more yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an Odyssey or other Honda vehicle with bluetooth.

I wonder if only certain types of contacts get downloaded to the car (e.g. only "phone" contacts vs. "gmail" or others), but even if this is the case, I'm pretty sure my wife's phone has most of her contacts of the type "phone." Incidentally, my Incredible has no contacts of the type "phone," and its phonebook downloads to my Ford Fusion just fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

dbu

Reaction score
We picked up a 2011 Honda Odyssey last night, and on the way home, I paired my wife's Incredible with the vehicle's bluetooth phone integration system. It indicated that the phonebook was being downloaded to the car, but later showed no contacts in the list. I haven't had a chance to play with it more yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this with an Odyssey or other Honda vehicle with bluetooth.

I wonder if only certain types of contacts get downloaded to the car (e.g. only "phone" contacts vs. "gmail" or others), but even if this is the case, I'm pretty sure my wife's phone has most of her contacts of the type "phone." Incidentally, my Incredible has no contacts of the type "phone," and its phonebook downloads to my Ford Fusion just fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Odd, maybe try deleting all the Bluetooth devices and try again. I have a Ford with sync, so I am not too sure about Honda.

OP
B

badger98

Reaction score
The situation gets weirder...

I had some more time to play with this last night. I tried re-pairing my wife's Incredible to the bluetooth system in the van, and each time the phonebook upload shows "no data." I received a message on the phone upon pairing that the van is trying to access the phone's phonebook and asking if I allow it. I check "always" and click "allow". Still, no data.

I also tried pairing my Incredible to the van, and the phonebook uploads quickly without issue! I can't find any settings on the phones that are different or even seem to be related to phonebook sharing over bluetooth. I'm really stumped on this one.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dbu

Reaction score
The situation gets weirder...

I had some more time to play with this last night. I tried re-pairing my wife's Incredible to the bluetooth system in the van, and each time the phonebook upload shows "no data." I received a message on the phone upon pairing that the van is trying to access the phone's phonebook and asking if I allow it. I check "always" and click "allow". Still, no data.

I also tried pairing my Incredible to the van, and the phonebook uploads quickly without issue! I can't find any settings on the phones that are different or even seem to be related to phonebook sharing over bluetooth. I'm really stumped on this one.

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is your wife's phone rooted?

OP
B

badger98

Reaction score
No--both are stock. Both also have the 2.2 upgrade.

dbu

Reaction score
No--both are stock. Both also have the 2.2 upgrade.

Well, since you aren't rooted and can't make a backup the only thing I can suggest is a factory reset. Just make sure to log into gmail and make sure all your contacts are backed up there so they will restored to the phone if you decide to do a reset.

Bran

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my 2011 Odyssey and Droid X. The phonebook works fine with a BB or HTC (non-Droid phone). I would be greatly interested if any has a work around.

tribsinpa

Reaction score
Here's how I fixed it

I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey and also had problems getting the phonebook to sync with my Droid X on bluetooth. It looked like some kind of phonebook import happened but it was all gibberish and unreadable.

I found the true key to the answer on this post
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-bluetooth-car-contact-lists-not-syncing.html
From wrossdavis post on 9-10-2010 12:02 post. THANK YOU wrossdavis!!

I don't know if all these steps are necessary but this is what I did. I would just try Step 8 first on the first go at it to see if that works. If you want to take a Clean Slate approach follow all the steps.

WARNING: Step 4 will essentially wipe out ALL existing phone connection data in your call in order to get to a clean slate.

1. Edited all the contacts Verizon added to my DroidX that started with # to start with "Account". These are the numbers to check balance(BAL), minutes (MIN), Payment (pmt), etc. I didn't know if the # character was mucking things up.

2. Turned Off bluetooth on Droid.

3. Started Car

4. On Car: Setup - Phone Setup - System Clear (at bottom of list) - Yes
WARNING: Step 4 will essentially wipe out ALL existing phone connection data in your call in order to get to a clean slate.

5. On Phone: Home Screen - Menu button - Wireless & Networks - Bluetooth Settings - Turned on Bluetooth on Droid and made discoverable.

6. On Car: Setup - Phone Setup - Connection - Add New Phone

7. On Phone: Entered Pairing PIN.

8. On Phone: On Home Screen.
After a few seconds you will notice a Phonebook Access Request notification at the top of the phone screen on a gray bar where you can see the 3G designator, the signal strength, the battery indicator etc. This is a drop down menu. Just flick it downward and it comes down.

If your phone is paired with the receiver and you haven't responded to it as of yet there should be a message requesting permission to download the phonebook. Just press the affirmative response and it will download. It takes a few seconds each time and seems to update each time it reconnects so the phonebook icon in the car won't immediately show that the phonebook is available. Give it a few seconds.

Last edited:

hoppyjr

Reaction score
I think I can help with this;

I have a newer Accord, with Navi and Bluetooth. I traced the phonebook sync issue to "too many contacts". While mine was using a Blackberry, it should be similar with an Android device.

I have approx 650 names in my address book and found that if a created a group with about 50 names, I could set the "Hotlist" group to sync with my car. Apparently the Honda system has limited capacity and simply rejects it when trying to sync the entire phone contact list.

Good luck -

Hoppy