Phone will not Start

compwrench

Reaction score
Phone is locked up on restart and cannot get to any menu. Verizon Tech told me to contact App developers to fix my 4 day old verizon motorola droid.

Stigy

Reaction score
What do you mean locked up on restart?

Will the device power on at all? Is it stuck on the lock screen?

Need some more details to be able to help/diagnose your issue.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Phone is locked up on restart and cannot get to any menu. Verizon Tech told me to contact App developers to fix my 4 day old verizon motorola droid.

One thing you can try is to hold down the middle button on the d-pad while starting the droid. This gets you into safe mode. If you can enter this successfully, then that means it is most likely an app that you installed. From that point I would try to remove the latest apps that you installed, probably try the last 2-3.

OP
compwrench

compwrench

Reaction score
Is the middle button the space bar? I called tech and once I got past 1st tier that told me to contact the last app developer for help, to 2nd tier. We tried holding down the menu button for safe mode. It didn't work so he told me to take it to the store.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm going to ask you a dumb question : )

Have you plugged the device into the wall outlet and let it charge for a 30 + minutes?

OP
compwrench

compwrench

Reaction score
When I tried to start it. It would go to the motorola logo, then the DROID would write then the red eyeball, then the DROID would write then the red eyeball, then the DROID would write then the red eyeball, then the DROID would write then the red eyeball on and on.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
When I tried to start it. It would go to the motorola logo, then the DROID would write then the red eyeball, then the DROID would write then the red eyeball, then the DROID would write then the red eyeball, then the DROID would write then the red eyeball on and on.
well thats actually a good sign. It's soft resetting so you can rule out hardware right now.

You must have downloaded a bad app or something is corrupt in the OS itself.

I would recommend charging it for a bit (if you have not already) pulling the battery and seeing if it will start up.

Not being able to get into safe mode is a problem so you may have to return it. Problem with that is you have not been able to factory reset and all your info is still on there.

OP
compwrench

compwrench

Reaction score
Sorry I looked everywhere for that info but I was calling it safe mode or clean install. So I did not get any search results. The second tier Techs at Verizon didn't even know that. I knew that since it was trying to boot there should a back door to get to recovery. I just wish I had thought of the correct words to search. cheers

Stigy

Reaction score
Sorry I looked everywhere for that info but I was calling it safe mode or clean install. So I did not get any search results. The second tier Techs at Verizon didn't even know that. I knew that since it was trying to boot there should a back door to get to recovery. I just wish I had thought of the correct words to search. cheers
Let us know if that works for you -- sorry to hear it froze like that.

OP
compwrench

compwrench

Reaction score
Also, I love to start fresh, I don't use My Documents or put any of my stuff on C:\. I have an internal separate, not partitioned D:\ drive with a Docs folder there for file storage. I clean Install my PC about every 6 months. I save my Email info and messages and browser bookmarks, then I put the recovery DVD's in to clean install and then reinstall all of my software. I also have 2 external USB drives that I keep synced to the d drive for a triple back up of my files. Can you tell I have lost stuff in the past? Makes one Obsessive. Thanks again.

91rangerturbo

Reaction score
Also, I love to start fresh, I don't use My Documents or put any of my stuff on C:\. I have an internal separate, not partitioned D:\ drive with a Docs folder there for file storage. I clean Install my PC about every 6 months. I save my Email info and messages and browser bookmarks, then I put the recovery DVD's in to clean install and then reinstall all of my software. I also have 2 external USB drives that I keep synced to the d drive for a triple back up of my files. Can you tell I have lost stuff in the past? Makes one Obsessive. Thanks again.

so what ever happened with your phone? mine is doing the exact same thing. It worked fine last night. i put it in my docking station and then it didn't sit all the way so it ran my phone all the way dead.. I have had the phone charging on the wall for about 1 hr and it still cycling the droid and the red eye.:icon_evil:

91rangerturbo

Reaction score
just a fyi i had this same issue with my droid. I googled how to do a factory reset. So i pulled the battery and upon the phone first powering on. I followed the instructions to a Tee on how to factory reset it. The phone works great once again. And it took care of all of my issues. The phone works flawlessly.