Phone storage/ phone memory

d_osborne

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between phone storage and phone memory? Where do the apps go when you download them? I'm running out of room in my phone memory but still have over 3gb free of phone storage.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

hotdog12

Reaction score
Beats me, but have you tried the "app 2 SD" app? Moves a lot of this stuff to the card. I bought a larger, faster microSD card for this, too.

OP
D

d_osborne

Reaction score
So, nobody then?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
phone storage acts as a usb device, so you can put music, movies, etc. on here

phone memory is where your apps are stored, though you can get an app that would move save apps to your sd card instead of the phone memory

Android doesn't really differentiate between ROM and RAM, apps save to the RAM to my understanding. Our Incs have 750mb availabe between RAM and ROM I think

I never got the warning memory warning myself so I never worried about it, but after googling a little bit that's what I managed to find during my sleep deprived state, so if any info is wrong I apologize:p

OP
D

d_osborne

Reaction score
How about an app to move the apps from memory to storage? I have app2sd. I only have a 2gb SD card and most of it is filled with pics and stuff. I know I need to get a bigger one.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How about an app to move the apps from memory to storage? I have app2sd. I only have a 2gb SD card and most of it is filled with pics and stuff. I know I need to get a bigger one.

there are apps out there that do this, just search the market app2SD or something along those lines. I have an app called superbox that I grabbed on Amazon appstore when it was free, has everything; taskiller if needed, memory app to free space, apps to sd capability, etc. It's like 4or 5 apps in one, it's great.

Read this article, this should help the confusion as to what phone memory is: Android Phone Memory and Storage | Binglong's space

OP
D

d_osborne

Reaction score
I have that app too I think. Just haven't messed with it. That should do the trick then?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have that app too I think. Just haven't messed with it. That should do the trick then?

yeah you should be able to move your apps into the SD without any problems. I just recommend you get a bigger SD card if you do plan on putting more things on it. Apps don't take up too much space, but they'll add up.