Phone Storage Full? but It's NOT.

jfitz88

Reaction score
I'm getting a message stating that my Phone Storage is full. It's not. It's got tons of space (phone and SD card both are very free). This happened before and I took my Incredible into the Verizon store. The employees were stumped, said I probably got a virus, then rebooted my phone. Lost everything :\

It's happened again. I tried deleting all my apps and texts but still getting the message. I have videos and photos that I want to save before rebooting my phone. How do I move them to my SD card from my phone (without using a computer)?

Please help! Very frustrated...

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
I think there is a thread on this, you pretty much have to defragment it in a sense. I believe you need a file manager to go into the system files and delete everything all of the way.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The employees were stumped, said I probably got a virus, then rebooted my phone. Lost everything :\

Did they ask before resetting your phone?

egobuster1

Reaction score
i got this a while back i heard its a fault on the software when using the stock mail app for yahoo and other mail clients that are not gmail related. not totally sure but i was using the mail app for my yahoo email and got the message and i had to do the full reset also and lost everything

cbushnell

Reaction score
Do you get the message when you are trying to update an app from the market? I have found on my phone that when I get this error if I uninstall the app and then re-download the problem goes away.

socal droid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S21+
Had this same issue myself yesterday. I called VZW tech support and he was stumped, so he transferred me to HTC support. One of the very first things HTC said to me was I needed to install Advanced Task Killer. I didn't have it because of all the posts on here about it. But to appease her, I tried to download it. However, because my phone thought I was low on memory, it wouldn't let me download.

After doing all sorts of checking and deleting apps, we ended up wiping my phone to fix the problem. So now, it's like I have a new phone again. HTC had no idea what could have caused the issue, but I'm just glad it wasn't something with the phone (hardware).

I posted this on another forum and someone mentioned that he also had the same issue and was either with Google Earth or SWYPE Beta. I had them both installed on my phone at the time so don't know which one was the culprit.

Did you have either of these apps installed?

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
Are you guys using Yahoo with the stock email app/widget? I think I remember reading that this could be the issue.

KimJSCP

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem and fixed it.

I too was getting "Phone storage full" errors, was not able to open a text, was getting tons of force closes and my phone was not downloading email, all with 6.59 gb free.

I am not running any other email client besides Gmail, but knew that the problem started when I updated a bunch of my apps. After reading through this thread, the only items mentioned that might apply to me where Swype and Google Earth, both of which I believe were apps that got updated. I was also already running advanced task killer.

I deleted both and shut down my phone and removed the battery for about 10 seconds. Everything is working now, except of course Swype and Google Earth. I loved Swype, although after shutting it off temporarily one day, I was never able to get it to start up again. I expect I will re-install both, although separately and carefully and with the knowledge I may have to turn around and delete them.

I have a great fear of someone doing a hard reset without my knowledge/permission and am very disappointed that while I was able to solve my own problem with the help of this thread, neither Verizon nor HTC seem to have this ability. I sure hope they all get their act together,as I am also one of those suffering with HORRIBLE battery life and would be much happier with this phone if some actual customer service were available.

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
add one and see if it happens again. I think earth might be the culprit.

KimJSCP

Reaction score
Google Earth is the problem.

2010 ZR1, you were right, Google Earth is the culprit. I reinstalled it and the same trouble cropped up. I did not try reinstalling Swype yet, so I can't confirm it does not cause trouble, but for sure Google Earth does.

On one hand that is very surprising to me that a Google product would be the one to screw everything up, but then again, I have had trouble with Google Earth on my desktop.

I don't NEED Google Earth and so I don't expect I will mess with it again and since Google Maps now does most of what I was interested in Google Earth for, I probably won't even miss it.

If/when I reinstall Swype I will let you all know one way or the other if I had any trouble with it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Now if Verison and HTC would just pay attention to this thread, it would save everyone a lot of trouble. Or here's an idea, Google - FIX YOUR PROBLEM!

2010 ZR1

Reaction score
2010 ZR1, you were right, Google Earth is the culprit. I reinstalled it and the same trouble cropped up. I did not try reinstalling Swype yet, so I can't confirm it does not cause trouble, but for sure Google Earth does.

On one hand that is very surprising to me that a Google product would be the one to screw everything up, but then again, I have had trouble with Google Earth on my desktop.

I don't NEED Google Earth and so I don't expect I will mess with it again and since Google Maps now does most of what I was interested in Google Earth for, I probably won't even miss it.

If/when I reinstall Swype I will let you all know one way or the other if I had any trouble with it.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Now if Verison and HTC would just pay attention to this thread, it would save everyone a lot of trouble. Or here's an idea, Google - FIX YOUR PROBLEM!

I believe the update to google earth is what causes it.

sneaky_zekey

Reaction score
i had this issue, i could not install anything from the market or place anything on my sdcard. i would mount it to my ubuntu pc via usb and drag and drop but it errored out saying not enough space. ubuntu showed it had over 11 gb free, so i clicked on view option,show hiiden files and behold,there was a .trash folder,inside that folder was 14 gb of data and apps. deleted that folder and everything back to normal.

KimJSCP

Reaction score
Google Earth Really was the problem.

sneaky_zekey - This thread is about the on board 8 gb showing as full when it isn't and I think your problem is different. I had no trouble installing apps, but I was getting "Phone storage full" messages, was not able to open texts, was getting a LOT of force closes and email was not downloading.

I did check both the on board storage, as well as the my added MicroSD, and the on board had 6.9 gb free and the added MicroSD about 12 gb free. That included all hidden files.

Since this appears to be a different (although similar) problem, I recommend starting a new thread so others will know what you did to find/resolve the problem, as it is unlikely they will get any help from either Verizon or HTC.

JJPIV

Reaction score
Storage Problem

I'm getting a message stating that my Phone Storage is full. It's not. It's got tons of space (phone and SD card both are very free). This happened before and I took my Incredible into the Verizon store. The employees were stumped, said I probably got a virus, then rebooted my phone. Lost everything :\

It's happened again. I tried deleting all my apps and texts but still getting the message. I have videos and photos that I want to save before rebooting my phone. How do I move them to my SD card from my phone (without using a computer)?

Please help! Very frustrated...

I ran into a similar problem when I was trying to use doubletwist to sync my iTunes music to my phone storage. I was experimenting with various playlists and noticed that my music was being duplicated on the device. I mounted the device (HTC Incredible) as a drive and manually deleted the music files. Amazingly this did not result in an increase of the available drive space. Eventually, (way too long) I figured out that there are several hidden directories on the phone storage. One of them is called ".Trashes". In that directory there is another directory called "501". Looking there I saw all of the songs that I thought I deleted. It turns out they were just moved to .Trashes/501/. Again manually, I deleted all of the directories under the 501 directory and voila I had all my storage space back.

So long story short, if you run into this again try emptying your .Trashes.

--JJP