Phone sends text then gives failure, repeatedly

JobsJob

Reaction score
This issue started about a week ago. I haven't downloaded any apps or anything as I don't want anything more on my phone than what came with it.

Basically, whenever i send a PICTURE text message, it comes back and says "General Network Failure" like 4 or 5 times. However, the person on the other end receives the text and picture just fine. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this as it is annoying to have my phone going off 4 or 5 times when I'm doing something and I stop to look and see its the same message over and over, and the worst part is that it didn't fail at all but it's just giving me that message! I love my Eris but this is about to make me break the thing!

I've restarted the phone, verified I'm on verizon's network, and just recently I just pulled the battery out of the thing. Still having this issue.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This issue started about a week ago. I haven't downloaded any apps or anything as I don't want anything more on my phone than what came with it.

Basically, whenever i send a PICTURE text message, it comes back and says "General Network Failure" like 4 or 5 times. However, the person on the other end receives the text and picture just fine. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this as it is annoying to have my phone going off 4 or 5 times when I'm doing something and I stop to look and see its the same message over and over, and the worst part is that it didn't fail at all but it's just giving me that message! I love my Eris but this is about to make me break the thing!

I've restarted the phone, verified I'm on verizon's network, and just recently I just pulled the battery out of the thing. Still having this issue.

I don't know very much about the Eris but when you say you restarted the phone are you talking about a reboot, an on off thing? Or are you talking about a factory data reset?

If you can, try a factory data reset. Again I'm not familiar with Eris but I'm sure you can do it somehow.

OP
J

JobsJob

Reaction score
I didn't do a factory reset, just a restart of the phone.. power off / on.. I didn't want to to do a factory reset because I use a mac and so I can't sync all my contacts up to my mac before I do that, so i'll lose literally everything in my phone... which I'm trying to avoid but it appears that I may have to do that in the end.

onmyway

Reaction score
One of those places where we have a lot of sweet t
Current Phone Model
G N 4
I had it happen. Luckily it was not five times. I notice you did not reference if recipient was on your providers network. In my circumstance the number I was sending a text to was an old subscriber who went from the droid to an iphone. I did not research it further knowing the background of the recipient due to lack of time on my part, and well, because the text was received I was told. It could be a two fold issue with a user porting to another providerand a tower rejecting the number when it sees the person in that area. Happening with one person, a group of people type text? Only one? Have them check their setup....usually hadnt been an issue on my networks end....

OP
J

JobsJob

Reaction score
well, I didn't reference it because the users I'm sending messages to are on various networks ranging from T-mobile to AT&T, etc. However, I did notice one thing. This all started after someone sent me a picture message in which a pop up occurred that said "sender wants received receipt, click send to send notice" and so I clicked send to send a text back letting them know the picture was received. Ever since then, when I send out a picture message I get a failed message, and I just realized after thinking about it that when I sent that person back a read receipt it failed, and this has been going on ever since then.

on a side note, does anyone know how i can somehow sync my contacts to my mac so I can factory default this phone?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't do a factory reset, just a restart of the phone.. power off / on.. I didn't want to to do a factory reset because I use a mac and so I can't sync all my contacts up to my mac before I do that, so i'll lose literally everything in my phone... which I'm trying to avoid but it appears that I may have to do that in the end.

It's a google phone. Your contacts are backed up in your gmail account.

OP
J

JobsJob

Reaction score
O crap, well in that case, I shall factory default this bad baby and then figure out how to log back into my google account on this phone which shouldn't be hard at all. :D

OP
J

JobsJob

Reaction score
so I did that, and it appears to be working, although I had to call verizon to get my phone back in the network as following the instructions to set it up apparently didn't work. So that's one issue taken care of. Thank you guys for the support!