Phone Reception Dropping Once Call is made

pyro6128

Reaction score
I've never had great cell service in my house, but lately it seems to be significantly worse than usual. But my moto droid will have the bottom 3 bars of the reception icon filled, but then as soon as I initiate a call, they all go gray. Then when I end the call, my service goes back up. And while on a call, I have a lot of trouble hearing the other person, and they drop in and out. Anyone experience this or anything like it? Could it be the phone itself that is defective? Is there anything I can do to improve cell service? Any help is enormously appreciated.

masterxchief

Reaction score
I'm not sure but it could be happening because you're blocking the antenna in that bottom part of the phone.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:rofl3: that's what used to happen on my AT&T phones (bastards...), lol. Haven't noticed it on my Droid though. May want to have it checked at the local store just to make sure it's not a faulty unit.

On a side note I have noticed this week my signal at home isn't as strong as it was the first 2 weeks. My friend and I are CONVINCED that carriers somehow block your listed address on purpose...

Sex Cells

Reaction score
happens to me too. my droid drops calls like crazy in my house (env2 never did). it was so bad that i couldn't go ANYWHERE without dropping a call 2 or 3 times in a row. and thats only when it actually dialed out.

finally i had enough and made time to goto verizon and get it taken care of. they told me that apparently there was an issue where it would try to use the farthest towers away for some reason. the guy was very helpful and messed with my phone for a while then gave it back to me and told me to come back if that didn't do the trick.

doesn't drop calls around town anymore, just at my house. but i suppose i can live with that.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP have you updated the phone and/or you PRN? This is likely what they did to the poster above.

*288 update:
The following are the steps you need to take to complete the update:

1. Power on your Verizon Wireless phone.
  2. Dial *228 from your home digital coverage area, followed by the SEND key.
  3. When prompted, press option #2, to update your phones roaming capabilities (This process may take up to 2 minutes).
  4. Once completed, a confirmation message will be played, and a message will display on the phone screen.
Also read through this first post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/8142-verizon-tech-here-ask-away.html

ronjr123

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my phone. I have done the *228 option 2 thing about 20 times. It doesn't help. At my home, never had a problem with making calls, neither do the other three LG's in the house. My droid never has a good signal at home and will drop about half the calls I make. Also, as I am driving along the road and the phone switches towers, it constantly drops a call in progress. I am writing this on my laptop using my verizon broadband card and it has 3 bars w/ 3g, yet my droid can't find a signal.