Phone interrupts internet connection when connecting to wireless

shezo

Reaction score
I've had the Motorola Droid for a few months and love it. But I have this weird problem when sometimes it will momentarily knock out the internet connection on my entire home network when connecting to the wireless. It happens sporadically, so it's not easily repeatable, but when it does happen, it's instant.

So I'll wake up my phone and attempt to do anything requiring an internet connection, phone detects my wireless network and tries to connect, and instantly all the applications running on my desktop pc (which is wired to the router) will report that my connection to the internet has been lost. After about 5 seconds, the connection comes back and everything restores itself. So it may not seem like too bad of a problem, except if I happen to be playing a game online, I'll get dropped.

I have a pretty typical setup in my house, no other wireless devices have caused this kind of interruption before. I'm actually on my second Droid (bad headphone jack) and both phones have had this issue. Anyone else experience something similar? or have any suggestions? I've searched around and couldn't find anyone with a similar problem.

Home setup:
Verizon fios-branded wireless router/hub
Wired windows desktop + various game consoles
Wireless Wii + roommate's laptop

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wow...Not sure there...I almost ALWAYS have WiFi enabled when I'm at home and have NEVER experienced that...

I've got:
LinkSys Wrt110 router
Really old Gateway Desktop with Wireless card
Xbox 360 wired to router [roommate's]
Xbox 360 Wirelessly connected [Mine]
Hp Pavilion dv7 Laptop Wireless.

hacku

Reaction score
One thing I can guarantee you is that it's not the phone giving you this problem. Most likely a problem with the router...

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I had something similar happen a while back, but not with my phone. When my laptop connected it would kick the other devices off and force them to re-connect. Needed to replace the router. They do go bad as stated above.

lpeacesr

Reaction score
I haven't received my devise yet. But is the WiFi that much faster? Can you tell the difference?