Phone Advice. Not sure what to get

jacobbones

Reaction score
So I am in the market for a new phone and I have absolutely no idea what to get.

I currently have an old piece of dog poo called an enV touch.
My new every 2 came up in late january but have been waiting for something good.

I was originally waiting for the droid bionic, but then that was delayed.
Then I talked to people at work. Some had Iphone4 and said oh its the best, better than a droid. But people with droid X say they really like it.

So that got me more confused. I dont know if droid is better than iphone. Im not biased towards a certain brand, I mean I like my xbox and my ps3

So basically Im looking for advice.
Ive seen "rumors" that the droid X2 is going to be out may 12th. Then I see the revolution that can play netflix. Ill assume netflix apps for droid x2 is possible?
Then I even see that sony game phone is coming out soon.

If anyone can give advice on which way to go Id appreciate it.
I would use whatever phone I get to surf web, use navigation app when traveling mostly.
Ive been told droid phones have more free content which draws me to it as well.

Thanks for reading my little story and hopefully you can offer me some advice.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll make it real easy for you. If you want a phone that has smooth integration, do not using iTunes in conjunction with it, has the best display and least amount of hassles out of the box then get an iPhone.

If you are the type of person who wants to fiddle around with your phone, make it more customizable, wants 4G, and doesn't need extended battery life then the Droid is for you.

And for what it's worth, do not buy an iPhone now no matter what. The iPhone 5 is coming in September.

I want to be fair and add that Droid works great right out of the box as well, just don't put any task killers for virus protection on it.

Beka27

Reaction score
Android phones do have more free apps than iPhone. This is a major draw, for me at least.

As far as what to get, you have to play around with the phones yourself and compare features. Do you need a front-facing camera, HDMI, a ton of memory, physical keyboard, are you in a 4G area? The list goes on...

I can tell you that if it were me, I would not pop on anything that's out right now, not counting the Charge, or Inc2 (because I haven't seen them personally). The only "new" phone I've played with is the Thunderbolt and I was not impressed, not a big enough improvement over my X.

OP
J

jacobbones

Reaction score
Well 4g isnt a concern of mine. I live in upstate ny so I figure by 2020 we will get 4g coverage.

But I know the iphone 5 is supposed to be out this fall. Ive been waiting to either get that or one of the new dual core droid phones. But since the new droids are starting to come out now vs the late summer release I read about somewhere.

The free apps would be a draw for me to.

I just have never used an iphone or droid. Ive seen youtube videos/ people using them etc.. They look fairly similar to me just seeing people scrolling around

Id be more of a customizer. The droids have removable micro sd cards as well which would make it easier to add music/videos I would think rather than syncing with itunes on iphone.

Beka27

Reaction score
And you can put itunes files onto a Droid. I put my must-have stuff on my X, my full collection I have on my 160gb classic.

Do you have a local store to go play with the different phones?

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Go into a VZW store (not best buy) and look at the incredible 2. It is an basically the same as a thunderbolt, but without 4G. It may be a good match for you. You can find it on Amazon and wirefly for much cheaper than you could in VZW, and because its 3g its always going to be much cheaper than the Thunderbolt and Charge. All I can say is try them out.

There is definitely a bigger selection of free apps on the Android market vs itunes app store. Out of the 50 or so apps I use, I think 5 are pay, and still only a couple bucks!

Good luck, and happy shopping :)

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

OP
J

jacobbones

Reaction score
Yeah Ive got a verizon store near me, Ill have to go there sometime and play with the phones.
Just trying to get an idea of whats good, then ill go play with it and then make a decision.