PDANet (FoxFi) + Razr/Razr Maxx on JB 4.1.2 thread

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Since there are various threads on other topics with discussion of this, figured we could have a thread for it alone.

I have tested PDANet on my Razr Maxx with the JB update. The WiFi hot-spot feature for internet access doesn't work for me. However, the Bluetooth mode is working for me just fine. In my particular case this is good for me, because I would only need this feature to power my Xoom tablet when out of WiFi range.

Maybe the dev will be able to fix this in the future to enable to hot-spot feature in JB.

The other method is to root and change the entitlements with SQ Editor.

Troy

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
Is it possible to Bluetooth tether 2 devices to the Razr? Sometimes I need the tablet for me and the PC for the wife tethered at the same time.

sgwilson1951

Reaction score
Will Razr Maxx HD Tether To My Computer

I have a Droid X on Verizon and have used PDANet to tether to my laptop so that I can get Internet access. Now, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Razr Maxx HD and wondering will this work the same way?

This feature--without paying for a hotspot charge--is what I want to continune to be able to do when I need my laptop in an area where I have no other Internet access. If it won't work just as it does now, what DO I have to do to accomplish this without paying additional cost?

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I have a Droid X on Verizon and have used PDANet to tether to my laptop so that I can get Internet access. Now, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Razr Maxx HD and wondering will this work the same way?

This feature--without paying for a hotspot charge--is what I want to continune to be able to do when I need my laptop in an area where I have no other Internet access. If it won't work just as it does now, what DO I have to do to accomplish this without paying additional cost?

My understanding (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) is that wifi tether will not work once you upgrade to Jelly Bean. You will have to tether the old fashioned way with your phone connected to the PC with a usb cable.

You can root the device to get wifi tether but that is another story for another thread.

sgwilson1951

Reaction score
Wired tether

My understanding (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) is that wifi tether will not work once you upgrade to Jelly Bean. You will have to tether the old fashioned way with your phone connected to the PC with a usb cable.

You can root the device to get wifi tether but that is another story for another thread.

Wi-fi meaning a wireless (Bluetooth?) connection, right? I have never tried that with my Droid-X...have always used a hardline cable to connect the two and would happy if I could do that with the Razr Maxx HD as well. Will it work just the same way?

Also, do I undersatand that with teh Razr Maxx I can now surf the web AND talk on the phone simultaneously, something I wasn't able to do with the Droid X?

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since there are various threads on other topics with discussion of this, figured we could have a thread for it alone.

I have tested PDANet on my Razr Maxx with the JB update. The WiFi hot-spot feature for internet access doesn't work for me. However, the Bluetooth mode is working for me just fine. In my particular case this is good for me, because I would only need this feature to power my Xoom tablet when out of WiFi range.

Maybe the dev will be able to fix this in the future to enable to hot-spot feature in JB.

The other method is to root and change the entitlements with SQ Editor.

Troy

I have a question. My Razr Maxx, both on GB and ICS has always been able to tether (both USB & Bluetooth), using no third party app.
Did you ever achieve this prior to JB, and if so have you tried it since the upgrade?
EDIT: I should note, that the tethering I refer to is a Win7 laptop, and my wife's original iPad.

Last edited:
OP
R

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I remember being unable to tether using Bluetooth between my Xoom tab and Razr Maxx when it was on ICS. I used to be able to do it with my Droid 2 on GB. Unable to do so on JB. Only works with the PDAnet bluetooth function.

bocabean

Reaction score
Hey Red,

Assuming that you are connecting to a Win7 computer, can you walk me through how you accomplished the Bluetooth connection. I did not receive the same screens as were shown on the JuneFabrics website. My system seemed to only want to pair for audio or as a very outdated PDA file sync. This is particularly frustrating to me as I have been a registered user for both the PDANet and FoxFi products. I'd hate to have to regress to the cable tether.

Thanks,

'Bean

Thanks

Npinkert

Reaction score
Wi-fi meaning a wireless (Bluetooth?) connection, right? I have never tried that with my Droid-X...have always used a hardline cable to connect the two and would happy if I could do that with the Razr Maxx HD as well. Will it work just the same way?

Also, do I undersatand that with teh Razr Maxx I can now surf the web AND talk on the phone simultaneously, something I wasn't able to do with the Droid X?

PDAnet offers two different wireless tethers - the wifi tether and the bluetooth tether.
After upgrading the Razr / Razr Maxx to 4.1, the wifi tether no longer works, but the bluetooth tether works fine. (from personal experience)
I have not tried to used the wired tether method as I use it for my tablet, but I have heard accounts in that it also works perfectly fine. The connection would work the same as on the Droid X.

As far as surfing and talking, this is capable with any VW 4G phone; but take into account that it is only possible to do it on the 4G network. If the connection drops to the 3G, it will keep the voice and drop the data.

xtor

Reaction score
I remember being unable to tether using Bluetooth between my Xoom tab and Razr Maxx when it was on ICS. I used to be able to do it with my Droid 2 on GB. Unable to do so on JB. Only works with the PDAnet bluetooth function.

This is why i loaded the 215 leak, i had a feeling they would block us from tether/hotspot, especially when I'm unlimited still

razr on 215 leak

bocabean

Reaction score
I got it to work with BT. I do not think that I would use it that way in a public area. I thought that the wifi method was much more secure. But then again, there's always USB and I also have a MiFi if I feel like dragging another piece of gear along.

OP
R

Redsnk95

Reaction score
I went ahead and rooted. Downloaded the wireless tether app for root and everything works just fine. The app was free didn't see the need to spend the money for the SQL Editor to activate the hot spot. Rooting took about 5 minutes. Glad I did it this way.

tonyjh63

Reaction score
So you're now able to keep using Foxfire/PDAnet+ after upgrading to JB? If so, mind posting a step-by-step method of this "rooting" and such? Thanks for any info...

I went ahead and rooted. Downloaded the wireless tether app for root and everything works just fine. The app was free didn't see the need to spend the money for the SQL Editor to activate the hot spot. Rooting took about 5 minutes. Glad I did it this way.

OP
R

Redsnk95

Reaction score