Panda Phone .. What is it?

DroidGramma

Reaction score
I'm an old granny just getting into the 21st century world of technology.
This started when I bought my Moto Droid. Can someone explain to me
what is a Panda Phone? I "googled it" but I still don't understand. I've been reading thru some of the discussions and I've seen this phrase or item or whatever alot. WHAT THE HECK IS IT and WHAT DOES IT MEAN? Thank you for helping to educate the older
folks.:icon_eek:

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
It's "Panda Home", a home screen replacement app. Here is a link and here's the QR code.

chart

Edited to add: to install, using an app. like barcode scanner to take a picture of the QR code here and it'll take you right to it.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, like DH said. Panda Home is a 'Home Replacement" that replaces your homescreens and app drawer. It gives you a more customizable app drawer and more screens.

Shinobi326

Reaction score
I've been running Panda Home since the first hour I got this Droid. 3 homescreens isn't enough for me so I use Panda for 5 homescreens + the quick side pull-out trays. I love the quick trays because they're always there so I put a few key apps in there (like settings) so I never have to hunt for them.

It's fairly energy efficient too and I've never noticed any system performance hits. I'm using this until I check out what 2.1 has to offer as native.

Guurzak

Reaction score
I've read quite a few complaints from people that Panda or other home-replacement apps caused severe performance and reliability problems over the course of a few weeks, and were much happier with their phones after getting rid of the apps.

I would avoid any of these apps unless you find you absolutely must have more than 3 home screens. (And since we're getting more home screens in the 2.1 update we're expecting shortly, I'd hold off anyway.)

Shinobi326

Reaction score
I personally have never had any issues with it, but with 2.1 anyday I would agree with Guurzak and simply wait a few days and check out 2.1.