Overheating and screen brightness stuck at 100%

Fayyt Ignatti

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I'm a new forum user, and I do hope that there will be someone out there who's either had the same experience, or knows what's going on.

I've had my HTC M8 for 7 months, and I've loved every minute of it. Yesterday, however, I took a picture using the flash (I usually have flash turned off). After that, the screen brightness wouldn't turn off, and the phone grew excessively hot. DU SpeedBooster clocked the temp at 121 degrees before I turned the phone off to let it cool down. It got to that temp in a matter of minutes.

Since then, I've tried going into recovery mode and wiping cache partition, I've deleted the last updated apps, and I've done everything I could think of except factory reset. That's the final step, but I don't want to lose the data cache on some of my apps.

Does anyone know what could be the problem, and what, if any, is the solution. I don't want to scrap my phone, I love this phone. It's the best one I've ever had until this problem came up.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Phone deets:

Model 831C
Hardware version 0005
Android 4.4.2
HTC sense 6.0
SDK API level 6.17
Firmware KOT49H release-keys

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF, Fayyt Ignatti. It sounds as though you have tried about everything you can short of doing a fdr. It is possible that it is a hardware malfunction where you might have to get the phone replaced. If it's still under warranty, that shouldn't be a problem.

Before you go the replacement route, try doing the fdr. To backup your data, some apps have a backup feature within the app. To back up your data, texts, phone logs etc, there are several apps that help you with that. I use MyBackup and SMS Backup & Restore although there are many that are equally as adequate to do the job.

Hoping it does the trick. Keep us posted.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
I'm going to ask a few obvious questions since I'm not familiar with your phone. Have you wiped off the brightness sensor or do you have a case on your phone that might have slipped over that sensor? Have you manually toggled the brightness, and it didn't change anything? Has the phone been dropped, possibly damaging the connection to the brightness sensor but it took a while to show up? Has it gotten wet in the past? Have you tried using the phone in Safe Mode to eliminate for sure the possibility of a rogue aftermarket app? Was it the stock camera app and if not have you tried uninstall the camera app you used? Are you using a brightness controller app at all and if so have you tried uninstall it?
Again, they weren't listed is why I ask, not trying to imply you didn't try them.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4