Overclocked Froyo Services That Cost You Money

Deadpool

Reaction score
Hey forum, I'm a Motorola Droid User and I'm just curious about some things.

I'm not used to the whole overclocking chatter. What's it do? Does it void your contract? Does it kill your battery or tear your phone up?

Another question is Froyo. What's the big hype about it? Does it cost? What do you do to get it? Is it necessary to try and get it now since it's gonna be on the new release?

Last question: When I go to marketplace and select an app I've seen a list saying the application has access to such things like, Your messages, Your Location, Your personal Information... but one particularly caught my eye because it said, "Services That May Cost You Money". What the Hell does that mean? I get charged for using it or something?

Thanks to anyone that can answer any of my questions.

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
overclocking makes your cpu perform faster than its spec'd.

Yes it can burn through your battery faster. (flipside is you can have it automatically underclock when your not using it which will increase your battery)
Yes, overclocking can shorten the life of your phone, but only if you take it to extremes.

Froyo is the latest version of android that is not yet deployed to motorola droids. It has some really cool new features (auto updating of apps and an update all are some of my favorites). there are several threads with howtos to get it, and last rumor I heard said an official OTA update for froyo is coming within the next week or so. No cost.

services that cost you money means that the app can do things that might cost you money. Specifically an app that sends out text messages is something that can cost you money as not everybody has a text messaging plan. the app won't charge you, but it may do things that will cause verizon to charge you. Usually not a big deal as if you are installing an alternitive txt messaging application, you know that its going to send text messages. But do pay attention.

OP
Deadpool

Deadpool

Reaction score

Yes it can burn through your battery faster. (flipside is you can have it automatically underclock when your not using it which will increase your battery)
Yes, overclocking can shorten the life of your phone, but only if you take it to extremes.

Froyo is the latest version of android that is not yet deployed to motorola droids. It has some really cool new features (auto updating of apps and an update all are some of my favorites). there are several threads with howtos to get it, and last rumor I heard said an official OTA update for froyo is coming within the next week or so. No cost.

services that cost you money means that the app can do things that might cost you money. Specifically an app that sends out text messages is something that can cost you money as not everybody has a text messaging plan. the app won't charge you, but it may do things that will cause verizon to charge you. Usually not a big deal as if you are installing an alternitive txt messaging application, you know that its going to send text messages. But do pay attention.

1) Ok cool.. so overclocking isn't bad as long as you don't go crazy. Are there apps that require overclocking?

2) Sweet... so basically no point in trying to get froyo early cuz I'll have the update soon.

3) anything else you can think of that would cost money? I mean there's some decent apps that are on the marketplace, but I don't want a huge fee to pop up on my bill or something. I mean I have unlimited texting so I'm not worried about that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

1) Ok cool.. so overclocking isn't bad as long as you don't go crazy. Are there apps that require overclocking?

2) Sweet... so basically no point in trying to get froyo early cuz I'll have the update soon.

3) anything else you can think of that would cost money? I mean there's some decent apps that are on the marketplace, but I don't want a huge fee to pop up on my bill or something. I mean I have unlimited texting so I'm not worried about that.

Apps do not pop up on your phone bill. You need a credit card and you set up an account with Google. In my case, I already had an account set up. It's Google Check Out, very similar to PayPal.

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
2) well, if i were you, i'd still root and get it early (which i did) but there isn't a big rush if you don't want to.

3)
well, i'm not sure what all consists of services that cost you money. I think making phone calls or sending texts is pretty much it.

I know google voice has 2 of the services that cost you money: "Directly call phone numbers" and "send SMS messages"

I don't think i've ever seen another permission under services that cost you money other than those two.

OP
Deadpool

Deadpool

Reaction score
2) well, if i were you, i'd still root and get it early (which i did) but there isn't a big rush if you don't want to.

3)
well, i'm not sure what all consists of services that cost you money. I think making phone calls or sending texts is pretty much it.

I know google voice has 2 of the services that cost you money: "Directly call phone numbers" and "send SMS messages"

I don't think i've ever seen another permission under services that cost you money other than those two.
What do you mean "Root" it?

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
rooting is similar to jailbreaking on the iphone. Basically it means gaining full control over your phone. It violates your warranty (although easy to put it back to stock so verizon would never know) and its possible to brick your phone (make it a paperweight)

Head over to the droid hacks section of the forum for more information. If you're not comfortable enough with the idea, remember, plenty of people are happy without rooting their phones, so you don't have to.