Overclock kernels

droijo

Reaction score
I know that if your phone can't run a certain kernel it'll freeze or boot, etc. What I want to know is what you do when this happens. Do you just upload a different kernel via update.zip in recovery, or how would you fix it.

I am currently running p3 1ghz 125mhz and would like to try higher kernels but would like to know before hand when I run into that scenario. Oh and does the existing kernel need to be removed beforehand, if so, how.

ClumsyNinja21

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I know that if your phone can't run a certain kernel it'll freeze or boot, etc. What I want to know is what you do when this happens. Do you just upload a different kernel via update.zip in recovery, or how would you fix it.

I am currently running p3 1ghz 125mhz and would like to try higher kernels but would like to know before hand when I run into that scenario. Oh and does the existing kernel need to be removed beforehand, if so, how.

Nandroid backup. If u get stuck in boot loop, pull battery and load backup. Make sure to back up current rom! Hopefully u r using rom manager. Makes it easy.

When u install new kernal, it overwrites old one so no need to uninstall. Not even sure if u can.

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
Hm, more complicated than I thought. ;)

I don't have any rom. I am running froyo (counts as rom?) and am not using rom manager. When backing up via nandroid, and if I need to reload it; will I have to reset everything? Widgets, apps, etc?

dclutter1

Reaction score
Yes, that counts as a rom.

A nandroid backup is an image of your system. So, no you won't have to set everything back up. ALWAYS have a current backup before you go messing around with things.