Outlook File As Support

forum1

Reaction score
OK Androidians, riddle me this,

I use the File As feature of Outlook contact records. On my Windows Mobile 6.5 device (HTC Touch Pro 2 using the HTC dialer) my individual records are displayed however I choose using the “File As” string, but on the Motorola Droid 2 using the Motorola dialer the records are always Full Name (FirstName LastName). Of course this means that if I File As “Company (LastName, FirstName)” in Outlook I still only get “FirstName LastName” on the phone. This by itself, on the phone, is only moderately annoying as you can still search on the company name and find the listing of people whose records contain the company. However, this is a major problem when using Bluetooth in the car as the only info the car has to search from is that of the exported contact string, which as previously mentioned is always FirstName Last Name (the one caveat is that if the contact record has no full name then the company name is exported).

How do I get the Droid to export the File As string via Bluetooth? Is there even such a string in the Droid PIM database to possibly be exported via Bluetooth? If not, is there a way to point the Bluetooth stack to a different PIM database, such as the one that Touchdown uses (which does support File As)? This seems like a key feature for proper Outlook support. Also, are there any phone dialer apps I can install, something like the HTC Win Mobile dialer, that will display records sorted by the File As instead of Full Name (again, either from the Droid or third-party database)?

Last edited:
OP
F

forum1

Reaction score
*bump*

I'm still looking for a solution to be able to set the contact's indexed/exported string to be "Company (LastName, FirstName)".

Right now the best thing I can come up with, to force a record to be dispayed/indexed by Company name, is to clear the individual's name from the Full Name field and stick it in the Notes field. This of course means I can't see the individual's name at a glance on the phone (need to open the record to see the Notes field) and not at all on the car's display. :frown: