Outlook email on Droid 2

ddbak

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first smart phone. Very ignorant. Trying to put Microsoft Outlook on my Droid 2. I have seen posts regarding syncing with Google but want to make sure I can use the Outlook email on the Droid. Its for business. Can anybody help? I have a Gmail personal account.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You have a couple of options.

If it's an exchange account everyone seems to prefer Touchdown as a email app on the Droids. If it's just personal Outlook type account you can use K-9 or MailDroid to sync with Outlook through Google. Both of these apps are very good and they can be set to poll the Outlook account(s) at a frequency of your choice.

The native email for Pop3 accounts is terrible and no one uses it.

An option that I just started using a few weeks is to have all emails sent to my Gmail app on the Droid. You have to set it up on Google's website/your gmail account. Google will then check your Outlook accounts at a frequency based on each account's activity. If there is a lot of email activity, it will be polled fast (1-3 minutes). If there isn't much activity, polling may be as slow as every 5 minutes. Either way, you save on battery by not having an email app wake up and poll the outlook accounts every few (1-15) minutes.

Good luck.

ZPrime

Reaction score
If this is a work EXCHANGE account that you access with Outlook, your best option right now is Touchdown as the built in "Corporate Sync" system on the D2 is kind of broken/buggy.

If your office uses something else, I don't know. Talk to your IT people.

If you can, see if your office is willing to forward all of your business e-mail to a Gmail account. You can then just set that up on the Droid and you're done. Many places won't do this though as they don't want the private business messages going offsite to a 3rd party (Google).

OP
D

ddbak

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I set it up through the Google Gmail app. We'll see how that works for me. Although I would like to know how to change the frequency that it checks my Outlook, if anybody knows. Thanks.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I set it up through the Google Gmail app. We'll see how that works for me. Although I would like to know how to change the frequency that it checks my Outlook, if anybody knows. Thanks.

I read, I think on the Google site, that it automatically adjusts polling frequencies based on the account activity. If the account has a lot of traffic it will poll the account more frequently. I think the maximum time between polling is 5 minutes and I don't know what the minimum is. But it is fast on my main pop3 account as it has a lot of traffic. On my other pop3 account it seems fast to me, I've never actually checked it, even though this account only gets 1 or 2 emails a day.

I'm still satisfied with this arrangement.

David Dowling

Reaction score
POP3 email with Gmail

So I took some advice in this thread and it seems to be working for me, but I have a weird question. I set up my g-mail to poll my POP3 account used for my work. It does that fine, however I can't find access to my g-mail account that is with my phone. It is present in the accounts section, and I get notified when I receive mail, but is not present in my Universal Inbox and I can't acess the e-mails I have unless I get a new one and the check box comes up. Any tips? Kinda weird...I have a shortcut to it, but it won't appear in th inbox.

Last edited:

Angry Bill

Reaction score
It's the D2's inability to properly work with POP3 accounts (delete from mobile = delete from server for example) that has me looking back to BB next year when I can upgrade my phone again. Who wants to fiddle around with K-9 and other apps, all of which have their own internal flaws? Not me. I've spent the last few nights trying to wittle down the list of things to need to change on my D2G and i've basically gotten no where but frustrated.

Big thanks to the contributors to this thread though. I suppose I will try having Gmail poll my pop3 account. I really don't know why I have to resort to doing this. I've moved most of my apps from MS outlook into Google, and IMO most of the Google apps lack the depth that a PC installed system has. again, Big thanks to the contributors to this thread .

Frust Rated

Reaction score
It's the D2's inability to properly work with POP3 accounts (delete from mobile = delete from server for example) that has me looking back to BB next year when I can upgrade my phone again. Who wants to fiddle around with K-9 and other apps, all of which have their own internal flaws? Not me. I've spent the last few nights trying to wittle down the list of things to need to change on my D2G and i've basically gotten no where but frustrated.

Big thanks to the contributors to this thread though. I suppose I will try having Gmail poll my pop3 account. I really don't know why I have to resort to doing this. I've moved most of my apps from MS outlook into Google, and IMO most of the Google apps lack the depth that a PC installed system has. again, Big thanks to the contributors to this thread .

I completely agree with you. I just came from a BB to the D2 and am having major headaches trying to sync a work e-mail account. this simply shouldn't be so difficult and I certainly shouldn't have to resort to pushing the exchange e-mail though a gmail account. Honestly, it's making me want to return this phone that, aside from this issue, seems great.

Is there any hope of getting an outlook account/calendar of working with a Droid2, aside from using an app like TouchDown?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I hate every single email option on Android.

What I have to do is have gmail retrieve my roadrunner email and remove it from the roadrunner server.
I have no control on my D2 to get gmail to push my emails down to me when they arrive, I have to wait on their algorithm to send it.

Also, I can set gmail to send all of my emails out as my roadrunner email account, however not all ISP's allow google's spoofing of the email account and therefore they receive the emails as my gmail account.

The only thing I like about having to use gmail on the D2 is it is the only one that allows me to create folders for organizing my emails.

Frust Rated

Reaction score
20 minutes into using TouchDown and so far, it's working just fine. It's sad to have to rely on an external app that you must buy to do a simple e-mail sync, but it just might be what keeps me from returning this phone.

The irony is, after installing TouchDown and getting it set up, I went to try and turn off the corporate sync account (I've already discovered that deleting it = factory reset) and in trying to make that sync NOT work, it started working. So, the moral of the story seems to be that the way to get something to work is to want it not to...

connieh1968

Reaction score
Frustrated

I downloaded Touchdown and I cannot get it to work at all!! I took it to my Verizon guy last night and he suggested I had a faulty phone, not even looking to see if I had the configuation wrong.

It will receive my Outlook mail but will not send it. Any clue????

Frust Rated

Reaction score
I downloaded Touchdown and I cannot get it to work at all!! I took it to my Verizon guy last night and he suggested I had a faulty phone, not even looking to see if I had the configuation wrong.

It will receive my Outlook mail but will not send it. Any clue????

if it will receive, but not send, it sounds like your server address isn't configured right. if your exchange mail is available from a web server, then that address should work for you.

perhaps try clearing the settings and running setup again?

otherwise, i'm not sure, i'm only a few days into using touchdown myself, so i'm no expert. hopefully someone else will be able to help you out further. good luck!

connieh1968

Reaction score
I want my BB back!!

I just did the K-9, keeps telling me my signon and password is wrong. NOT..I have typed it correct many times....GRRRRR I don't know if I have an IMAP, POP or what???

I had NO issues setting this up on my BB. I'm not a a big computer geek, but I'm not that dumb either!!

HELP!!!!!!