OTTERBOX commuter case

BLAZE86DUBZ

Reaction score
anyone get that case yet ?? i purchased the incipio case but i dont like how it shows some of the bottom the shiny part the otterbox one looks like it gets covered in the pics i just know about the bulkyness of it

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I looked at the Commuter, looks pretty nice but I'm going with the Defender. It looks like it would keep out more dirt and dust and I want the most protection for my Bionic.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

OP
B

BLAZE86DUBZ

Reaction score
looks realy big though i dont wana add to much bulk to it

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Yeah, it does. As I look for the Defender all the sites where it is cheaply priced are sold out... looking more at the Commuter as my Bionic will be here Tuesday.

OP
B

BLAZE86DUBZ

Reaction score
they have it on the verizon website thats where i saw it the cheapest

Diocat

Reaction score
I got my Otterbox Commuter case today it imo it's better than the Incipio case just for the fact that the Otterbox doesn't cover the notification LED as the Incipio does. They seem to be about the same thickness but I don't have them side by side at the moment. The Otterbox does cover the entire bottom metal section where the microphone is as well unlike the Incipio which only covers approximately the bottom half of that area.

I will try to take pics of the Otterbox later and compare it with the Incipio for size. Also, for those who wonder, the Otterbox's exposed silicone areas are just as bad in the "lint magnet" department as the Incipio case is.

kematocha

Reaction score
I went to Radio Shack today and picked up the Otterbox Commuter. Last night I was at Verizon and bought the Incipio because I went to the Radio Shack by me and they didn't have the Otterbox. I am taking back the Incipio for various reasons, one of them mentioned above it covers the notification light. Another reason is the Incipio has nothing to cover the USB, HDMI and headphone jacks, where as the Otterbox does. The Otterbox is a much sturdier case and much better designed, which is something I figured out with my OG Droid after various other cheap cases.

I did look at the Otterbox Defender while I was at Verizon, one thing I am sure of is if you have that case on your phone you could throw it against a brick wall and not damage it. However it is HUGE. With the included belt holster it is like strapping a flat panel TV to your belt. Just way too big, I like the protection but the Commuter protected my OG for almost a year and a half. My OG is in like new condition and I wear it on my belt and work as a automotive tech, not exactly a friendly environment.

My opinion get the Commuter and forget about it, its protected.

kman79

Reaction score
Received the commuter case today from otterbox

Looks as solid as it did for my DX. One immediate improvement I do see over the commuter for the DX is that I can easily tap to the very edge of my screen without the case getting in the way. The case definitely adds some bulk to the phone, but its fine and not an eyesore. The headphone plug, HDMI port and USB port are covered by rubber pieces. Im quite happy with it.

I really wish otterbox would make a commuter case that would accommodate the extended battery, it would probably be as thick as the defender case if they did, which on heavy use longer days, I wouldn't mind.

BlackDiamond

Reaction score
The only downfall to the commuter case is that they don't make a belt clip for it like the defender. I would like to see some pics of the commuter case on the bionic though :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Diocat

Reaction score
Sorry for the crude pics, but it will give you an idea at least... The top right flap on the Incipio case covers the Bionic's LED, however, as the Otterbox does not have those "ears" so to speak, it does not block the LED at all.
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0316.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg
The screen protector is a Zagg Invisible Shield (which came in a box with a picture of the old Bionic on the front, but it fits fine). I just shouldn't have put it in my pocket while it's still in the drying phase! And as I said before, it picks up lint pretty easy right now. Hopefully as the silicone half breaks in the lint issue will be diminished.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I ended up finding an otterbox defender for $41.00 shipped. It may be bulky but I do carpentry work and want to make sure I don't mess my new toy up. Plus the belt clip will come in handy too which the commuter doesn't have. But each to their own. Commuter does look slick though.

Last edited:

Impact9

Reaction score
Defender will not work with the car dock. Just slightly too wide to fit. Also not sure about the other cases but the USB/HDMI cover may be an issue.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Defender will not work with the car dock. Just slightly too wide to fit. Also not sure about the other cases but the USB/HDMI cover may be an issue.

For the defender?

Walkman666

Reaction score
Incipio and otterbox commuter

I have the bionic, and now have both the incipio and otterbox commuter cases. I agree with earlier posts that the otterbox commuter is nicer and sturdier, but the incipio does one big thing for me that the commuter does not: it fits in the standard droid bionic dock. I like to leave my phone in the dock when not using it, and i cant get the commuter'ed bionic in the dock, but the incipio'd bionic fits np. This is with the plastic insert removed from the dock for both cases. So, i am undecided right now as to which to use going forward.

Last edited: