Otterbox Commuter Case - 22.99 at amazon!

dkshaer

Reaction score
Love the case. Better than anything else I've tried. A little slippery feeling but is less bulky than others (the glove) , stays attached and does a good job of protection.

Jcook54

Reaction score
I got one a month or so ago. It's great but I did have some trouble getting the guard around the screen to stay put. Called Otterbox and had a new one in a couple of days. No problems since. Enjoy!

shoot2scre

Reaction score
Can anyone post pictures of their phone in one? I seem to be having a hard time finding them with the old google-machine. Thanks guys.

bill d.

Reaction score
Can anyone post pictures of their phone in one? I seem to be having a hard time finding them with the old google-machine. Thanks guys.

a picture really isn't going to do it justice, trust me. its really hard to see the difference since its a black case on a black phone. it DOES add some bulk to your phone, but this case is the real deal... like someone else said, its a little slippery, but the protection you get it is worth it.

ordered mine monday night on newegg, got here yesterday afternoon. $25 including postage.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting this case also. I like the fact that it is a silicone case AND a hard case. So the silicone cushions blows and the hard case stops things from hitting the actual phone. I also like that it covers all the ports to protect them from dust, liquid, etc while still having a functional slide.

I'm definitely gonna get one.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Shipping at newegg makes the total cheaper and for what ever reason Amazon wants to charge tax. I bought from Newegg.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I have an Otterbox Commuter case also but I bought mine through NewEgg when they had them on sale for $19 a while ago.

I love the Otterbox case bottom half, but really didn't care for the top (screen) half of the case. So I'm using my Amzer leather case top half along with the Otterbox bottom.

I really want to give that new Seidio Rugged case a try as well, but I'll wait to see some reviews online from actual owners before I purchase one.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I looked into the Rugged also but it is almost $50 and makes the keyboard unusable. It is DEFINITELY more protective but I like my keyboard and don't want THAT much bulk added.

Why didn't you like the top half of the Commuter?

JimmyD

Reaction score
Amzer leather case = an aesthetically perfect case (in my humble opinion)

I looked into the Rugged also but it is almost $50 and makes the keyboard unusable. It is DEFINITELY more protective but I like my keyboard and don't want THAT much bulk added.

I personally find the $50 a hard thing to justify for a phone case in my current situation... especially since I already have two cases!

LOL... for me, one of the features of the Seidio Rugged case that actracts me to it, is the fact that it eliminates the sliding keyboard! It's funny. I was initially drawn to the Droid because it had a physical keyboard, but after using it for a few days, I realized I didn't like the keyboard and was ultimately a faster typist on the virtual screen keyboard!

Why didn't you like the top half of the Commuter?

Honestly, I feel that the top part of the Commuter case is cheap and flimsy compared to the Amzer leather top case I have on there now. Actually, the bottom half of the Otterbox case isn't as "nice" and "luxurious" as the Amzer leather bottom half case either, but I really love the Otterbox port covers. The fact that the Otterbox case has the port covers is THE SOLE REASON that I purchased it! I think it's a feature that is sorely missing from all of the other great cases out there. (On a side note, one huge plus for Seidio Rugged case is the little silicon camera lens cover/door!)

I also feel that pairing the Amzer leather top case half with the Otterbox bottom case half gives the whole phone a more semetrical look and feel compared the the sharply ridged Otterbox top half. Of course, the Amzer top half gives the whole phone a little more bulk, but I actually think it rounds out the whole shape better and provided added protection. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Amzer case snapped onto the Droid in a MUCH MORE solid fashion than the Otterbox does! (Top and bottom included!)

I miss the feel of the Amzer leather case bottom half on my Droid! It was not as slippery as the Otterbox, (but not overly grippy like a silicone case)... the
feel of the Amzer leather case was "just right". (I actually hate the slippery plastic feel of the Otterbox case bottom.)

Ultimately, I just really like the Amzer case for it's awesome fitment and overall aesthetics.

If only there was a "rugged" version of the Amzer leather case! I have actually considered hacking my Otterbox case to use the port covers on my Amzer case! LOL

I bought the Amzer leather case at a Verizon store in downtown Chicago in January. I haven't seen it in any other Verizon stores, or any other cell phone stores anywhere since then! You can find it online though.

Here is (a bad pic I found online of) the Amzer leather case.....

droid-by-motorola-leather-shield_pdi.gif

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a case like that for my Dare. It was really nice until the fake leather started to peel off LOL

But I did love the feel of it, even with the added bulk.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I had a case like that for my Dare. It was really nice until the fake leather started to peel off LOL

But I did love the feel of it, even with the added bulk.

LOL... I also had a fake leather case on my Treo650 that fell apart. The Droid Amzer case however, is real leather.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow real leather?? That's actually pretty damn cool. Feel free to send me your Otterbox and go back to the Amzer :D