Orientation Lock/Unlock Released on the Market

neubanks89

Reaction score
Android Infinity (http://androidinfinity.com)
has just released its 9th application, "Orientation Lock/Unlock". With this Android App you can now long press the "Search" button on your phone or the App's Icon from the homescreen or launcher to change your screen auto-rotate setting at any time and in any app. This will either lock the orientation to portrait/upright mode or unlock it to switch back and forth between portrait and landscape freely.

From the Market:

"Change your screen orientation lock setting on the fly!

Are you tired of having to navigate through settings menus to lock or unlock your Screen Auto-Rotate?

Tired of laying on your side and having the phone go to landscape mode?

Just long press the search key or touch the shortcut and this changes the setting for you!"

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FROM MARKET

lockQR.png

lock3.png

lock2.png

(Check out our other apps too at Applications)

dr3am

Reaction score
Of course you realize....orientation lock isnt "locking orientation" if it just locks me into portrait mode. Neat application of a vanilla concept but i really think it should rein true to its name and actually lock me to the orientation I am in when i engage the lock.

Not entirely sure why devs dont do this...make the accelerometer lie about the phones position period so no changes occur....instead of just toggling a system setting.

Must be system locked? Future root application?

OP
N

neubanks89

Reaction score
Of course you realize....orientation lock isnt "locking orientation" if it just locks me into portrait mode. Neat application of a vanilla concept but i really think it should rein true to its name and actually lock me to the orientation I am in when i engage the lock.

Not entirely sure why devs dont do this...make the accelerometer lie about the phones position period so no changes occur....instead of just toggling a system setting.

Must be system locked? Future root application?

True, you can't "lie" to the system to make it stay on landscape with the standard sdk. Most applications are designed for portrait mode which is the default for the system anyway. However, it probably is possible to do it with root, just like sliding out the droid keyboard overrides the setting but the purpose of this app is to make it easier and intuitive to use an already present setting rather than add new functionality.

dr3am

Reaction score
Makes sense. In the example you cited it seems like a software trick could force the system to landscape without root by making system think the keyboard was out. Without root i'd imagine bugs would be rampant as soon as the keyboard was opened/closed as two sets of input would be going at the same time with no way to tell one to turn off.

On the other side of the coin, i've wanted to be able to lock portrait mode with the keyboard OUT for some time for a more balanced feel in one handed news reading with d pad scrolling and keyboard shortcuts. Similar to that seen in spb recovery. That with the ability to flip the portrait upside down for both left and right hand grip of the keyboard whilst being able to read.

Honestly I can't believe no one has implemented anything like we've discussed yet.