Opinion poll for self satisfaction...experienced droiders preffered

johnbwright4

Reaction score
I've been a lurker on the forum since getting my droid (like many it seems) and have finally come to the point where I need help making a decision. I searched to see if it had been discussed yet but wasn't able to find anything concrete. I did the manual push like most to 2.1 and like it, but dont love it. This isnt a question of rooting and im not in need of a how to, i'm just satisfying my curiosity...

My question (and this is why i said those with experience preferred) is would those of you comfortable with custom roms suggest that i revert back to 2.0.1 by flashing the sbf file and then rooting to 2.1...or instead would you suggest waiting a bit to see if/when a way is found to take advantage of 2.1 itself? Ive watched all the videos and read the posts, and know that going back to 2.0.1 is going to be a process in itself then installing custom rom after root etc....I'm wondering if i should just be patient and see what the next techy zen has to offer in way of a mod for 2.1 itself. All comments are appreciated, and the reason I finally broke down and asked for guidance was due to me starting/stopping dmupdater about 50 times never being able to make a decision on what to do. Thanks for anyone who takes a second to help a forum inductee out

(I'm simply asking for your opinions and after my own research understand the consequences of each option)

rebornlaxer

Reaction score
I tried 2.1 but it was no where as good as BlackDroid. I'll be keeping my rooted 2.0.1 with blackdroid!!!

jimnutt

Reaction score
If you flash back to 2.01, you can install a basically stock 2.1 except that it provides root access. You may never need root access, but it's always nice to have the option. Or you can go wild and install one of the many custom roms, it's your choice... and that's the important thing, it's your choice, not Motorola's or Verizon's.

stix_clgi

Reaction score
flash then root

Hello,
Like you I've been a lurker...I haven't been an active participant in many threads. I would tell you that the choice is yours, you determine what you want to do and so on and so forth....but that's not what you asked.

I personally flashed back to 2.0.1 and installed a custom ROM (UltimateDroid 9.8.0). I like the 2.1, but I felt like I was missing out on a few features that ONLY a rooted ROM could give, overclocking being number one. I was used to the speed at which my phone ran before I dropped it and had to get a new one...and I realized that many applications ran smoother with the OCing kernel installed.

I like the different themes that can be installed, I like full access to both the phone files and my sdcard, I like using Titanium Backup, which requires root. There's also the feeling of satisfaction of having been your own "aftermarket tuner" if you will. I've always been a fan of hacking, jailbreaking, rooting. I hacked my SanDisk Sansa mp3 player, I jailbroke my iPod Touch, I've rooted my droid....its a great feeling lol!

I think Pete Alfonso of Bugless Beast fame has a rooted 2.1 ROM, built from the actual 2.1 update. I'm sure tomorrow someone will have figured out how to root 2.1 and we will all be scrambling to update.zip our phones and start the craze all over again. This is my personal experience/opinion: I say you flash to 2.0.1 and install a custom ROM. If anything it will give you the practice needed for when 2.1 is rooted lol!!

Hope this helps...

shademar

Reaction score
Given the simple workaround to get a stock 2.1 rom back to 2.01 and rooted, I'm not sure how great the driving force to find a new 2.1 specific root exploit is. Everyone who really wants root can already get it, and many devs have moved on to more exciting things. (which is to say, don't count on it necessarily being a short wait....)

xliderider

Reaction score
Given the simple workaround to get a stock 2.1 rom back to 2.01 and rooted, I'm not sure how great the driving force to find a new 2.1 specific root exploit is. Everyone who really wants root can already get it, and many devs have moved on to more exciting things. (which is to say, don't count on it necessarily being a short wait....)

+1

If I were in your shoes, I would flash back to 2.01, then install a custom 2.1 rom. But that's me.

OP
johnbwright4

johnbwright4

Reaction score
Thanks to all so far who room the time to comment, results are so far what I expected waiting for a few more opinions. I think reason I'm nervous about the rooting option is the SBf flash and given my luck, potential for failure

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Thanks to all so far who room the time to comment, results are so far what I expected waiting for a few more opinions. I think reason I'm nervous about the rooting option is the SBf flash and given my luck, potential for failure

I wouldn't worry too much about the SBF flash. It's not that big of a deal. It's a quick and easy process once you've got the application and SBF file that you want to use... barring a battery failure, or power outage during the flash process, it's unlikely that you'll screw anything up.

biggs

Reaction score
root custom rom an ocing themes its all good you will be like wowowow in awe an love ur phone that much more once you start i will warn you u cant stop lol :icon_ banana::icon_eek:

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
I had to do just what you are thinking of doing today. I jumped on the official 2.1, loved it, but wanted UD9 back.
So i had to flash the SBF. Now i was a little apprehensive just because of all the warnings that come along with the sbf tutorials. But to be honest with you if was pretty quick and painless. only took a few minutes and i was back up and running.

So its your call but it was pretty easy for me to to.