Opera Mini Beta

Goodkat

Reaction score
Just DL'd opera, after having read a short review on it...and it is DEFINITELY worth trying out. I'm an avid dolphin user, but I think this will be my default browser, even considering the fact that it does not currently support multi touch. The page rendering is BLAZING fast, I would like to do a side by side comparison with stock browser and dolphin but I wouldn't be surprised to see it be at least twice as fast as either. Apparently the pages are rendered server side, then pushed to the device. So all of you who want a fast browser...give this a go.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Have you ever used Xscope Browser? I used to use Dolphin and then switched to Xscope. It seems faster to me and has a cleaner UI. Give it a shot. I think there is a free version but the paid version is only a couple of bucks.

vinnard

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get the the gmail site that you get with dolphin and the default browser?

dima1109

Reaction score
Opera is crap, it can't render any pages correctly, and javascript doesn't work at all.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know, rather than characterizing apps as "crap," it might be worth considering what an app is designed to do and then evaluating against that standard. In the case of browsers the choice is basically between performance and comprehensive coverage and functionality. Some designers opt for one side of that cost/benefit calculus; some for the other.

I typically use XScope when I want a relatively fast browser with broad functionality. With few exceptions (other than the inevitable limitations on flash functionality) it provides a wealth of functionality, renders web pages accurately and within the physical limitations of a screen measuring a few inches in height and width makes it possible to find what I'm looking for. It displays complex page designs well and enables me to (carefully) enlarge portions of a page and save photos. In short, it's a great multipurpose browser for a device like the Droid.

Opera, on the other hand, is intentionally designed to sacrifice functionality in the interest of performance. When I want to access a particular web page where I'm already familiar with the format and content its performance is a significant advantage. Would I use it for accessing sites where photos or videos are the predominant content? Of course not.

That doesn't mean it isn't a useful tool for what it is designed to do.

moot

Reaction score
^

This. I'm using opera as my browser for content and image heavy websites such as engadget. With that being said, I still use xscope for all other browsing.

hondaguy520

Reaction score
Just tried opera and I have to say dolphin is better, renders pages to read correctly, and has pinch zoom dolphin is quicker for ne at least.....

I cannot wait for firefox mobile, it will put all these to shame

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just tried opera and I have to say dolphin is better, renders pages to read correctly, and has pinch zoom dolphin is quicker for ne at least.....

I cannot wait for firefox mobile, it will put all these to shame

Could be. And I use Firefox almost exclusively for my work and other internet access on my twin 21 inch monitors. So I'm both familiar with and very fond of the browser. Thus, what follows is not meant in any way as a criticism of Firefox.

I think what is being missed here is how different the requirements are for a browser on a device like the Droid versus a desktop system with almost unlimited screen real estate or, for that matter a netbook with restricted real estate but still with a 10-12 inch screen.

The hazards of shrinking a browser down to operate in a satisfactory manner on a phone are well illustrated by the abortive attempts of Microsoft to accomplish it with IE. I have very little experience with Safari on the iPhone but its reputation suggests it may be a much better effort but I still suspect that it is very different on the iPhone than on a desktop.

In short, I think it's a mistake to hold out unreserved hope for the Firefox mobile browser. The fact that it doesn't yet exist suggests (at least to me) that the developers recognize and are trying to deal with these challenges. And there's no guarantee that the desktop experience can be duplicated (or even simulated very well) on a 3x4 inch screen.

subsynth

Reaction score
Anyone had success using Opera Link? I want to have access to my bookmarks. I created an opera link page, i can see all my bookmarks when I login to the opera link webpage, but when i turn on opera link in Opera Mini 5, sign in under "i have an account" my bookmarks don't show up in the bookmarks.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, logged in and out several times. No dice.

WTF